Is America Prospective For Trained Physicians

• Thread starter tofayelbd
  • Start date
In summary, America is a prospective place for physicians, but it may not be easy for them to find work and the pay is not as good as in other countries.
tofayelbd
I am a Bangladeshi and my wife is a trained medical doctor. Recently she became successful at finding a residency position in America. I am curious to know, is America prospective for trained physicians?

Physics news on Phys.org
I've never heard of doctors having trouble finding employment. Jobs may be hard to find in the nicer cities, but in suburban and rural areas there are good prospects for physicians.

But.

That assumes she can be licensed here, which may take additional training in the US and may not even be possible, depending on the quality of the med school she graduated from.

If there were issues with that, how would she have gotten a residency position here (presumably in a hospital somewhere)?

If that's not what the OP meant to say, he should clarify it.

She will need to sit on all stages of the United States Medical Licensing Exams and will need to be sponsored by the Educational Commission for Foreign Medical Graduates.

If she already has been tentatively hired by a hospital as a resident, it should be no trouble for her to be granted permission to sit on the USMLEs.

Any specialty training she has done will have to be re-done, as will internship and residency. In some cases, internship is not necessary to repeat, but often it is done as a probationary period before the actual, contracted residency begins.

Assuming she already has a spot in a hospital's residency, and has no trouble with the USMLE, then I'd say her prospects are pretty good ... at least as good as any other young doctor in the U.S.

If this post is wondering about average pay ... Last I knew, residents make somewhere around 35,000-45,000 USD per year depending on where you are. Keep in mind that is what you are salaried for working approximately 80 hour work weeks. That basically translates to about the same (per hour) as what an average secretary or janitor makes in the U.S.

Salary and hours worked both drastically improve as you get into specialty and after you have finished all your training ... which, depending on area, can take 5-10+ years.

Last edited:
I've heard that the American demand for physicians is increasing and will continue to do so for several years. (One of the few promising fields in this economy)

Thanks to all for sharing with me.

1. What factors make America a prospective country for trained physicians?

There are several factors that make America a prospective country for trained physicians. One of the main reasons is the high demand for healthcare services in the United States. Additionally, the country has a well-established medical infrastructure, advanced technology, and a diverse patient population that allows for various learning opportunities for physicians.

2. What are the requirements for becoming a physician in America?

In order to become a physician in America, one must complete a bachelor's degree, followed by four years of medical school and three to seven years of residency training. After completing these requirements, physicians must also pass the United States Medical Licensing Examination (USMLE) and obtain a medical license in the state they wish to practice in.

3. How does the compensation for physicians in America compare to other countries?

The compensation for physicians in America is generally higher compared to other countries. This is due to the high demand for healthcare services and the advanced medical technology and resources available in the country. However, the compensation may vary depending on factors such as location, specialty, and experience.

4. Is there a shortage of trained physicians in America?

Yes, there is a shortage of trained physicians in certain areas of America. This is especially true for rural and underserved areas, where there may be a lack of access to healthcare services. However, overall, the number of trained physicians in America is increasing due to the growing demand for healthcare services.

5. How does the training for physicians in America compare to other countries?

The training for physicians in America is generally considered to be rigorous and comprehensive. The country has some of the top medical schools and residency programs in the world, and physicians are expected to continuously update their knowledge and skills through continuing education and training programs. However, the training may vary depending on the specialty and individual program.