How to become a Certified Medical Physicist in the UK?

In summary, the individual is a 3rd year Astrophysics student in Scotland who wants to shift their career path to medical physics. They are unsure of the steps required to become a medical physicist and have questions about the Scientist Training Programme and other routes to obtaining a master's degree and training. They also mention a helpful Insights article by @Choppy that outlines the steps to becoming a medical physicist.
BigPapaSmurf123
Hello there! I am currently studying Astrophysics (3rd year) in Scotland and would like to shift my premature career path into medical physics. Now, I have few questions that I cannot answer online so I though it would be better to do it here.

Here we go..

My question is how to actually become a medical physicist (MP) in the first place? I have seen that you can apply for a three-year programme called the Scientist Training Programme (STP) which would provide me with a master's degree and sufficient training, but I don't know if I would require any further training to become a clinical scientist. Furthermore, if this training already provides me with Master's degree, what is the point in going to University to study master's?

Let's say I don't make it into STP programme. What other routs would I have to take to become one? would I require master's then? and then apply for training programmes with IPEM? ... Seems like a big loop.. so many questions... Hopefully you guys could help me out on this .

Thank you for your time !

Physics news on Phys.org
berkeman said:
Welcome to the PF. :smile:

We have a nice Insights article by @Choppy that will answer a lot of your questions:

https://www.physicsforums.com/insights/become-medical-physicist-3653-easy-steps/

:smile:

So either a 3 year training programme (in my case STP), or master's degree with extra exams at the end. I am guessing UK isn't that much different compared to US. I think I got the gist.

Cheers for your help!

Likes Choppy and berkeman

1. How do I become a Certified Medical Physicist in the UK?

To become a Certified Medical Physicist in the UK, you must first obtain a degree in physics or a related field such as medical physics. This is typically followed by a postgraduate degree in medical physics. After completing your education, you must gain practical experience through a training program accredited by the Institute of Physics and Engineering in Medicine (IPEM). Finally, you must pass the certification exam administered by the IPEM to become a certified medical physicist in the UK.

2. What are the educational requirements to become a Certified Medical Physicist in the UK?

The educational requirements to become a Certified Medical Physicist in the UK include a degree in physics or a related field, such as medical physics. This is typically followed by a postgraduate degree in medical physics from a recognized university. Additionally, you must complete a training program accredited by the IPEM and pass their certification exam.

3. How long does it take to become a Certified Medical Physicist in the UK?

The length of time it takes to become a Certified Medical Physicist in the UK can vary depending on individual circumstances. On average, it takes around 4-5 years to complete the necessary education and training, including obtaining a degree, completing a postgraduate program, and gaining practical experience. However, this can vary and may take longer if you choose to pursue additional education or training.

4. Is there a certification exam to become a Certified Medical Physicist in the UK?

Yes, there is a certification exam administered by the IPEM that you must pass to become a Certified Medical Physicist in the UK. This exam covers various topics related to medical physics, including radiation physics, radiation protection, and clinical applications. It is designed to test your knowledge and skills and ensure that you are qualified to practice as a medical physicist in the UK.

5. Can I become a Certified Medical Physicist in the UK if I have a degree in a different field?

While a degree in physics or a related field is typically required to become a Certified Medical Physicist in the UK, there may be alternative pathways available depending on your qualifications and experience. It is best to contact the IPEM to discuss your individual circumstances and determine the best path for you to become certified as a medical physicist in the UK.