Ferrite magnet as toroid transformer

by ramonegumpert
Tags: ferrite, magnet, toroid, transformer
Share this thread:
ramonegumpert
Apr30-12, 10:23 PM
P: 186
Dear Experts

I have a 1.5 cm ring magnet, you know, the black color type of common low magnetic power magnet.

I wrapped 5 turns of copper wire around it on one side and then wrapped 10 rounds of another copper wire around it . I connected 5v battery to the 2 ends of the primary coil which is the 5 turn winding.

I then measured with volt meter the secondary coil. I did not see the output voltage at the secondary coil increase.

This is my noobie attempt. Please comment what could be wrong.

Can a ferrite magnet be used to step up voltage?

I want to step up the voltage by around 2 volts.

Many Thanks.

regards
Ramone
Phys.Org News Partner Engineering news on Phys.org
'Smart material' chin strap harvests energy from chewing
Lockheed Martin advances live, virtual, constructive training in flight test
Lockheed Martin conducts flight tests of aircraft laser turret for DARPA
vk6kro
Apr30-12, 10:34 PM
Sci Advisor
P: 4,044
Transformers only work on AC signals, so you would have to switch your battery current on and off through the primary winding to see anything on the secondary.

However, a ferrite magnet would be a poor choice for a transformer core. Better options would be normal ferrite or soft iron laminations from a transformer.
Bob S
Apr30-12, 11:21 PM
P: 4,663
Are you talking about a toroidal "refrigerator" permanent magnet made of "hard" ferrite? You will need up to 300,000 amp-turns per meter. See attached table from http://www.what-are-magnets.com/10STRONTIUMCERAMIC.HTM
Attached Thumbnails
Hard_ferrite.jpg  

ramonegumpert
May2-12, 08:45 AM
Ferrite magnet as toroid transformer

Dear Experts
So , what is the recommended way to stepup a 5v dc battery pack to 8volts, occupying minimal space? Kindly please offer me an idea.

I have sen videos demonstrating how a joule thief can light up a 3v led using just 1.5v. I wonder can this toroid be modified/ used as-is to function as transformer ?

Yes, i am using a toroidal fridge magnet.
its ferrite but permanently magnetised, i think. Is the effect different than a non-magnetised ferrite?

Cheers
Bob S
May2-12, 12:42 PM
Quote Quote by ramonegumpert View Post
Dear Experts
So , what is the recommended way to stepup a 5v dc battery pack to 8volts, occupying minimal space? Kindly please offer me an idea.
Use a boost converter, which are transformerless:http://www.linear.com/products/step-...st)_regulators
Other mfgrs also make similar chips.
I have sen videos demonstrating how a joule thief can light up a 3v led using just 1.5v. I wonder can this toroid be modified/ used as-is to function as transformer ?

Yes, i am using a toroidal fridge magnet.
its ferrite but permanently magnetised, i think. Is the effect different than a non-magnetised ferrite?
Magnets are not suitable for transformers.
ramonegumpert
May5-12, 12:31 PM
Thanks so much Bob S. I will get a ferrite toroid and try again.

Cheers :)
Bob S
May5-12, 12:57 PM
Quote Quote by ramonegumpert View Post
Thanks so much Bob S. I will get a ferrite toroid and try again.
If you need to make a toroid transformer circuit, be sure to use a soft ferrite. I personally would search for a boost regulator circuit from Linear.com, using a DIP package. How many milliamps do you need? I have built ferrite transformer circuits before, and the boost regulators are easier.
ramonegumpert
May7-12, 09:03 AM
Dear Bob

Thanks for your reply.

I am looking at output of as high as 500 milliamps, input voltage of any between 9v to 12 v and output of 5.5 to 6v.

Is it possible to get free samples of 1 or 2 units for testing?

Thanks.

Regards
Ramone
vk6kro
May7-12, 10:59 AM
Sci Advisor
P: 4,044
You get free samples if someone thinks you might buy $500 worth of something. So, they ask who you work for and what your position is.

So, unless you are likely to buy a lot of something, you shouldn't ask for free samples.

Almost free, though, are these on Ebay:
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/DC-DC-Con...item3f154a0adc

Synchronous rectification, Max efficiency up to 98%.
Input: 4.75-24V.
Output: 0.93V-18V ( Buck Mode, the input must be 2V higher than output ).
Output Current: continuous 2.5A ( Peak 4A).
Price about $3.50 US.

Which country are you in?

Register to reply