How to optimize spark gap Tesla coils?

In summary, the conversation revolves around building a tesla coil for a science fair project. The initial attempt only resulted in a small portion of a fluorescent light bulb being illuminated. The builders used an HV transformer from a bug zapper, a capacitor bank, and speaker wire to connect the components. The coil was only able to power fluorescent lights and not incandescent or LED lights. The builders are seeking advice on how to improve the coil's power and have received a circuit diagram and detailed explanation of how the coil works. They plan to work on it over the next few weeks to make it more effective.
Alex Karatzky
My elementary school had its first annual science fair a few weeks ago, so me and my friend signed up and we decided to do it on wireless electricity. So naturally, we built a tesla coil. It took a couple of tries, but we eventually got it to barely illuminate a portion of a fluorescent light bulb. We somehow managed to make it to the regional competition, but we need to make it at least power the full lightbulb.

The lightbulb only blinks when the spark gap flashes, which is every 1-2 seconds.
We used an HV transformer from a bug zapper which had 2 HV input and 2 HV output wires. The 2 input wires were attached to a 9V battery and the output wires were attached to each end of a capacitor bank comprised of 2 150k capacitors.

We used 18 AWG speaker wire to connect the capacitors to the spark gap and primary coil.
The secondary coil was made of 24 AWG magnetized copper wire wrapped around a 20cm long piece of 1 1/4' PVC pipe, while the primary coil was made from 10 AWG wire wrapped ~6 times around the secondary.

The coil seems to only power fluorescent lights (we tried 2 incandescent and 2 LEDs).

We used these 2 videos as guides during the building process, they were fairly easy to understand.

Any suggestions on how we can improve the coil? The regional competition is on March 28th.
Picture ---> https://postimg.cc/sMHVzjG8

Engineering news on Phys.org
I am not sure how to choose the capacitors for the primary spark circuit. Are they in series with the primary winding? Do you have a circuit of what you did?
(As a matter of interest, when the spark transmitter for the first trans Atlantic radio communication was built, the capacitors and tuning of the primary circuit were an area of disagreement between Fleming (an old style electrical engineer) and Marconi (a hands-on RF artist).

Likes Alex Karatzky
Without seeing a circuit diagram, I realized this morning that your set up has only one spark gap and is not the double system used by the trans Atlantic transmitter.
In this case, the primary circuit must resonate at the same frequency as the secondary, and the objective will be to adjust the capacitor to resonate the primary at the same frequency as the secondary. I will think about this more.

Likes Alex Karatzky
Thank you very much for the help so far!

I found the circuit diagram
https://postimg.cc/mPZMXLfn

I just have one more question - what can I do to make it powerful enough to light a different type of lightbulb?

Alex
Thank you for the circuit. This is how it works.
The capacitor is slowly charged during one cycle of the stepped-up AC supply. When it reaches a certain voltage the spark gap breaks down. This creates a very low resistance path and a resonant circuit then exists with C and the six turn winding, and several cycles of RF occur.
The current in the six turn winding induces a voltage in the large secondary. For best results, the secondary and the six turn winding need to be resonant at the same frequency.
One of the design variables is the size and coupling of the six turn winding. The two windings form a double tuned transformer, which needs to have critical coupling. This is described in many textbooks. For design purposes, the secondary load probably consists in the main of the loss in the winding.
The secondary will step up the voltage to a very high value, but can supply only a small current. Therefore any load you apply must have very high resistance. A fluorescent tube meets this requirement but an incandescent lamp or LED does not.
It would be possible to check the primary and secondary resonances using various RF techniques, such as the old style GDO or a network analyser.

Wow, thank you so much! I did not expect this much detail on my first post, but I'll be working on it over the next few weeks, now that I know what I'm doing :)

Alex Karatzky said:
Wow, thank you so much! I did not expect this much detail on my first post, but I'll be working on it over the next few weeks, now that I know what I'm doing :)
The secondary contains about 36m of wire, so we will expect a resonance in the region of 5 to 10 MHz. It might be worth trying just one primary turn instead of six.

Likes Tom.G

1. How do I determine the optimal spark gap distance for my Tesla coil?

The optimal spark gap distance for a Tesla coil depends on several factors, including the size and design of the coil, the power source, and the desired output. Generally, a smaller spark gap distance will produce smaller and more frequent sparks, while a larger gap will produce larger and less frequent sparks. It is recommended to experiment with different gap distances to find the optimal one for your specific coil.

2. What is the role of the spark gap in a Tesla coil?

The spark gap in a Tesla coil is responsible for creating the high voltage and high frequency electrical discharge that produces the characteristic arcs and sparks. It acts as a switch, allowing the capacitor to discharge through the primary coil and create a high voltage potential difference between the primary and secondary coils.

3. How can I improve the efficiency of my spark gap Tesla coil?

To improve the efficiency of a spark gap Tesla coil, you can try using a larger capacitor, increasing the number of turns in the secondary coil, or using a higher power source. Additionally, ensuring that the spark gap is clean and free of debris can also help improve efficiency.

4. Can I use different materials for my spark gap electrodes?

Yes, you can use a variety of materials for your spark gap electrodes, such as copper, aluminum, or even tungsten. However, it is important to choose materials that can withstand high temperatures and have good electrical conductivity. It is also recommended to use a non-corrosive material to prevent damage to the electrodes over time.

5. Are there any safety precautions I should take when working with spark gap Tesla coils?

Yes, spark gap Tesla coils can be dangerous if not handled properly. It is important to always use proper insulation and grounding techniques, and to never touch the coil or electrodes while it is in operation. It is also recommended to wear protective gear, such as gloves and goggles, when working with high voltage electricity.