How Can Space Exist Without Time?

by peacerenity
Tags: exist, space, time
Share this thread:
peacerenity
May3-12, 08:36 AM
P: 1
Hey Guys,

I had a question about Hawking's no-boundary proposal for the beginning of the universe, in which he proposes that near the beginning of the universe, time gave way to space and the universe became a timeless 4-dimensional space.

My question is this: how can space exist without time? Isn't time necessary for change to occur within space? So if you didn't have time, and thus no change, how could space ever change from this 4-dimensional timeless space into the timed space that we currently experience?
Phys.Org News Partner Physics news on Phys.org
Refocusing research into high-temperature superconductors
Neutron tomography technique reveals phase fractions of crystalline materials in 3-dimensions
Tiny magnets, huge fields: Nanoscale ferromagnetic electrodes create chemical equivalent of solid-state spin valve
Khashishi
May3-12, 10:53 AM
P: 886
block universe picture. The universe, as a whole, isn't evolving
rhader
May3-12, 12:13 PM
P: 4
Time is a man made measurement. I would have to re-read Hawkins proposal in order to see his references in regards to time as an entity.

However in general time does not exist it is a unit used to measure the existence of space. such as we use other units of measurement for distance etc...

not sure if that helps at all.

Register to reply