Avi. files freeze randomly while playing

• Thread starter Charles123
  • Start date
  • Tags
    files
In summary, the individual's laptop is experiencing freezing and interruptions while playing avi files, regardless of the media player used. Other video files play with no issues and the individual has tried various solutions such as updating drivers and reinstalling players with no success. They are seeking suggestions for the cause of the problem and potential solutions. One suggestion is to do a system restore to a point before the issue started, but if that is not possible, a manual system restore or clean windows install may be necessary.
Charles123
My Laptop started freezing with random interruptions in both sound and image while playing avi. files, no matter which video player I am using (Windows Media Player, Media Player Classic, VLC). Other video files, like mkv. play with no problems. I have downloaded the latest k lite full codec pack, uptaded video drivers for my Toshiba, uninstalled and reinstalled the players, tried Microsoft fix that deleted some codecs with no results.
Any ideas on what the origin of the problem might be, and how can I solve it?
Thank you
Best regards

Computer science news on Phys.org
is the issue occurring with all avi files or just specific ones? when did the issue start?

Thank you for your answer.
It started yesterday and happens with all avi files.
Regards

since the issue started yesterday, there may have been some change on the system that caused this issue. i would suggest doing a system restore to a restore point to a point earlier than 2 days ago.

Start>All programs>accessories>system tools>System Restore
first create a new system restore point (in case something breaks so you can 'undo')
then restore the computer back to a date earlier than 2 days ago. make sure you use a "System Check Point" i find that the other ones can be flakey.

once the system restore is complete, the computer will reboot. then try to play your avi with VLC media player and see if it works. hopefully this resolves your issue

I thought of that, but unfortunately I have no usable restore point...

well if you are running windows XP you can still do a "manual system restore." its much more involved and there is a possibility you can properly break your computer.
All your settings are saved in the windows registry. System restore takes snapshots of your registry but windows also keeps a more extensive backup which you can use to recover from a corrupted registry.
what you can do is pretend like you have a corrupt registry and recover it to an earlier time.
Here's a microsoft knowledge base article that describes in detail what you need to do
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307545

this is what i normally do when i hit a brick wall like you have. If you are unable to isolate the cause of the issue, the only thing you can do is wipe your system and start with a clean install.

if you are using windows 7 the process is simpler but 7 only keeps 1 backup (from 10 days ago if i remember correctly)
the process is similar, you need the installation disk, use the repair option and then from the command prompt, back up the registry in /windows/system32/config/
your 10 day old backup is in /windows/system32/config/regback/
copy and replace your existing registry and then try
if it breaks your computer, restore the registry using the backup you made

if all else fails and this is something you cannot live with, wipe the system clean and do a fresh windows install

Last edited:

What causes .avi files to freeze randomly while playing?

There could be several reasons for this issue. One possibility is that the file itself is corrupted or damaged. Another possibility is that your media player or device does not have the necessary codecs to properly play the file. It could also be due to a lack of processing power or memory on your device.

How can I prevent .avi files from freezing while playing?

To prevent this issue, make sure to download the file from a trusted source and check if it is not corrupted. You can also try updating your media player or using a different one that has the necessary codecs. Closing any unnecessary programs or clearing up memory on your device may also help.

Can a slow internet connection cause .avi files to freeze while playing?

Yes, a slow internet connection can cause .avi files to freeze while playing. This is because the file is being streamed and if the connection is not strong enough, the file may not load properly and cause freezing. It is recommended to have a stable and fast internet connection for smooth playback.

Why do .avi files freeze only on certain devices?

Different devices have different capabilities and specifications, which can affect how they play certain file types. If a particular device does not have the necessary codecs or processing power to play a .avi file, it may freeze while playing. Using a different device or updating the current one may help resolve this issue.

Are there any software or tools that can fix frozen .avi files?

Yes, there are various software and tools available that claim to fix frozen .avi files. However, results may vary and it is not guaranteed that they will be successful. It is always best to prevent the issue from happening in the first place by ensuring the file is not corrupted and using a compatible media player.