Register to reply

Is there an instantaneous angular acceleration for a conical pendulm?

Share this thread:
jason12345
May3-12, 10:13 AM
P: 111
For a conical pendulum, there is an instantaneous centripetal acceleration. Does this mean there is an instantaneous angular acceleration of the pendulum towards the center?
Phys.Org News Partner Physics news on Phys.org
New complex oxides could advance memory devices
Nature's designs inspire research into new light-based technologies
UCI team is first to capture motion of single molecule in real time
olivermsun
May3-12, 10:45 AM
P: 865
Can you define what your angle and center refer to?
jason12345
May3-12, 11:13 AM
Quote Quote by olivermsun View Post
Can you define what your angle and center refer to?
The angle is between the string and the axis of symmetry the pendulum rotates around.

olivermsun
May3-12, 11:28 AM
Is there an instantaneous angular acceleration for a conical pendulm?

I see, you're talking about a pendulum which swings about the center axis in a cone.

Your angle, as defined, rotates with the pendulum string and remains constant, so I would say "no."
jason12345
May3-12, 01:20 PM
I see, you're talking about a pendulum which swings about the center axis in a cone.

Your angle, as defined, rotates with the pendulum string and remains constant, so I would say "no."
Thanks for your reply, although I disagree with it :) I could also argue that the radius of the circular motion is constant and so there isn't an acceleration towards the centre - but there is: v^2/r
olivermsun
May3-12, 01:25 PM
There is an acceleration (which happens to be toward the center) because the radius vector is not constant. Only the radius magnitude is constant.

As far as I can tell, the angular velocity is constant if defined around the axis of symmetry.
jason12345
May3-12, 05:46 PM
There is an acceleration (which happens to be toward the center) because the radius vector is not constant. Only the radius magnitude is constant.
I think you mean velocity where you state radius.

As far as I can tell, the angular velocity is constant if defined around the axis of symmetry.
I agree that angular velocity is constant.
olivermsun
May3-12, 06:23 PM
Quote Quote by jason12345 View Post
I think you mean velocity where you state radius.
You're right. Change in radius vector per time (velocity) changes.
greentlc
May3-12, 08:46 PM
P: 29
How does the radius vector not change? Doesn't it's magnitude stay the same, however the direction is changing?
olivermsun
May4-12, 06:42 AM
The radius does change (dr/dt is nonzero), so that there is a velocity, but he was talking about whether or not there is an acceleration. There is, since d^2/dt^2 = dv/dt is nonzero. A changing radius vector isn't enough to imply an acceleration, although it is enough that the magnitude stays the same while the direction is changing (as you say).

Register to reply