Angular Acceleration: Understanding the Relationship Between Connected Pulleys

In summary: So the linear motion of the rope around the circumference of each pulley is different. My opinion is that the linear motion of the rope around the circumference of each pulley is the same.
rashida564
Hi everyone I had this argument with someone told. About angular acceleration.
His opinion: Since both pulleys are connected by a string then both of them must have the same angular acceleration.
My opinion: Since a2 "acceleration of the second mass" is half a1. Then angular acceleration of the second is half of the first.
Which one is correct

Attachments

• angular accelaration.PNG
    angular accelaration.PNG
    6.6 KB · Views: 184
Physics news on Phys.org
Is the linear motion of the rope the same around the circumference of each pulley?

No because acceleration I believe it's different which equal to a , and I think my friend was wrong

Um, if you have v(t) at the edge of the pulley, do you now also have the angular acceleration as a function of time?

BTW, how much money is riding on this bet? :smile:

• Haha
Likes rashida564
Actually, let me do some calcs before I push the equality aspect too much. Back in a bit...

I think considering It rolling without slipping then V(t)=w*r. Differeniating both sides we will get a=alpha*r.
10 pounds, we can split it 50 50 😉

It looks like the linear motion up for the 2nd pulley takes away from the angular motion of the rope around the 2nd pulley. Can you quantify that? You might win this bet after all... :smile:

Sorry mate I couldn't understand your hint

So start with the pulleys in a starting position. Put 4 dots on the rope where it comes into contact with the 2 pulleys. One dot each for where the rope first contacts the pulley, and one for where it leaves the pulley.

Then let the fixed pulley go through 1/2 rotation, so that the first dot on its rope rotates around to the postion of the second dot. That pulley has rotated through 180 degrees in some time T. Draw how the 2nd pulley has translated up some and rotated some. How many degrees has the 2nd pulley rotated in the same amount of time T?

So part of the pulley will either go up or down depend on the direction of motion for the first pulley then from that the second pulley will rotate an angle of 90 degrees right

So less linear motion of the rope leads to less angular motion on the 2nd pulley, right? :smile:

yeah so I should get the money 😂😂

Likes berkeman
rashida564 said:
His opinion: Since both pulleys are connected by a string then both of them must have the same angular acceleration.
His argument would work, if the pulley centers were at rest relative to each other. But they aren't here.

Likes berkeman

1. What is angular acceleration?

Angular acceleration is the rate of change of angular velocity, which is the measure of how fast an object is rotating around an axis. It is measured in radians per second squared (rad/s^2).

2. How is angular acceleration related to connected pulleys?

In connected pulley systems, the angular acceleration of one pulley is directly related to the angular acceleration of the other pulley. This is because the pulleys are connected by a belt or chain, causing them to rotate at the same rate.

3. How can I calculate angular acceleration in a pulley system?

To calculate angular acceleration in a pulley system, you can use the formula a = (r * α) / R, where a is the angular acceleration, r is the radius of the pulley, α is the linear acceleration of the object connected to the pulley, and R is the radius of the object.

4. What factors can affect angular acceleration in a pulley system?

The main factors that can affect angular acceleration in a pulley system are the mass and radius of the objects connected to the pulleys, the tension in the belt or chain, and the friction between the pulleys and the belt or chain.

5. How can understanding angular acceleration in connected pulleys be useful?

Understanding the relationship between connected pulleys and angular acceleration can be useful in various engineering and mechanical applications, such as designing efficient pulley systems for lifting heavy objects or calculating the speed and torque of rotating machinery.