Light in timespace

by Vierstein
Tags: light, timespace
Share this thread:
Vierstein
May4-12, 03:46 PM
P: 15
Hi,

I have a question about timespace. So apparently even light is affected by gravity. Is this true, or is the light merely following the curved time space (the light is moving straight where it is, but curved from my point of view because time space is curved) or are the two just ambivalent expressions of the same thing, with light being affected due to gravity due to curved timespace being just a more precise expression of light is affected by gravity.
Phys.Org News Partner Physics news on Phys.org
Engineers develop new sensor to detect tiny individual nanoparticles
Tiny particles have big potential in debate over nuclear proliferation
Ray tracing and beyond
phinds
May4-12, 04:30 PM
PF Gold
P: 6,353
Quote Quote by Vierstein View Post
Hi,

I have a question about timespace. So apparently even light is affected by gravity. Is this true, or is the light merely following the curved time space (the light is moving straight where it is, but curved from my point of view because time space is curved) or are the two just ambivalent expressions of the same thing, with light being affected due to gravity due to curved timespace being just a more precise expression of light is affected by gravity.
First, it's "spacetime", not "timespace". Second, it's "equivalent", not "ambivalent", and yes, they are different ways of saying the same thing.

Matter tells spacetime how to shape itself and spacetime tells matter (and light) how to move
sweet springs
May4-12, 07:51 PM
P: 449
Hi.

Lights take "shortest" tracks. In non-curved space-time, the "shortest" track is the straight line. But in curved space-time, in other word when gravity works, they are not the same anymore.

Regards.

Register to reply