Does Gravity Have the Power to Slow Down Light?

In summary, the conversation discusses the concepts of gravity and light, particularly in relation to black holes. It is mentioned that gravity is a field and does not need to move to affect things, and that black holes have an event horizon where even light cannot escape due to spacetime curvature. The idea of gravity affecting light by catching and slowing it down is questioned, and it is clarified that gravity does not move in this scenario. Additionally, the concept of gravitational waves is brought up and it is noted that they are not emitted in this case. The conversation also mentions the equivalence principle and the universal speed limit followed by all massless particles.
Kerry Tawadros
Hey guys,

I'm itching to find out what you know or theories about gravity and light...

My first question that I pose to you is this..

If the cosmic speed limit is set by light.. then why can gravity affect it?

Consider this.

Light is traveling away from a black hole.. gravity is so immense in the black hole that "not even light can escape".. so for gravity to affect light it must catch it (and therefore move quickly enough to affect it) and slow light down .

It's my understanding that 2 things have to be occurring here.

1: Gravity is moving at the speed of light to affect it?
2: The cosmic speed limit in that area of space is being altered?

At what speed does gravity travel?Thoughts?

Physics news on Phys.org
Sorry to say that, but have you ever considered to look at the mathematical formalism (from which interpretations could be derived) instead of discussing interpretations and intuition w/o having any formal basis?

What you are asking is certainly not "beyond the standard model" but "standard textbook general relativity".

My apologies.. should i remove my question?
I am merely here to learn .. and I'm not exactly well educated as to formulas and figures. I just have questions to ask and was hoping to learn something interesting.

Have you ever tried to understand general relativity?

Yes I have.If general relativity can explain precisely this scenario then I should probably read it more carefully. ( I am probably a bit too green for these forums i understand )

Kerry Tawadros said:
so for gravity to affect light it must catch it (and therefore move quickly enough to affect it) and slow light down .

It's my understanding that 2 things have to be occurring here.

1: Gravity is moving at the speed of light to affect it?
2: The cosmic speed limit in that area of space is being altered?
Rather than trying to reason about a black hole, try reasoning about a pulse of light crossing an elevator that is accelerating upward in a shaft. From the standpoint of a rider on the elevator, does that pulse of light follow a straight path or a curved path?

Straight

Kerry Tawadros said:
Straight
Wrong.

Ah i see...

Currently I am busy, but later I can give you some hints regarding "speed of light" and "speed of gravity".

Kerry Tawadros said:
Ah i see...
Now instead of an elevator accelerating upward at 1g in a shaft in empty space, leave the elevator stationary on the surface of the Earth.

The equivalence principle says that a rider in the elevator cannot distinguish between the two scenarios. If he sees a pulse of light curving in the one situation, he must see it curving in the other as well. This is one of the starting points for General relativity.

Last edited:
Kerry Tawadros said:
If the cosmic speed limit is set by light
It is not. I gather from your questions that your knowledge is from pop-science presentations which get pretty much everything wrong to one degree or another. There is a "universal speed limit" that is followed by all massless particles. As far as is known, light is massless and follows the speed limit but if we found out tomorrow that light has a tiny tiny mass, the universe speed limit would not change, we would just conclude that the tiny tiny mass was SO tiny that the slight slowing of photons slightly below the speed limit is not measurable by our instruments. Oh, and I should add, it really isn't correct to say that light travels as photons (as I just did). It travels as a wave and only becomes photons when it interacts with mass.

Light is traveling away from a black hole.. gravity is so immense in the black hole that "not even light can escape".. so for gravity to affect light it must catch it (and therefore move quickly enough to affect it) and slow light down .
You misunderstand gravity. Gravity is a FIELD and does not need to move at all to affect things. Only CHANGES in gravity move and they move at the universal speed limit. Black holes have an Event Horizon which is a mathematical (not physical) sphere inside of which the gravity field gradient is so strong that even light cannot escape. Outside the EH, light can move away from the BH but it gets red shifted.

phinds said:
Gravity is a FIELD

Actually, according to GR, gravity is spacetime curvature. That's probably the best viewpoint to adopt in this thread.

phinds said:
Black holes have an Event Horizon which is a mathematical (not physical) sphere inside of which the gravity field gradient is so strong that even light cannot escape.

One reason why the spacetime curvature viewpoint is a better one to adopt in this thread is that the concept of "gravity field gradient" breaks down at the event horizon of a black hole. But the concept of spacetime curvature works just fine. The reason light can't escape from a black hole is that spacetime is curved in such a way that the light cones "tip" inward to the point where the outer edge of the light cones--i.e., the path through spacetime followed by radially outgoing light--is "vertical"; it stays at the same radial coordinate forever.

Kerry Tawadros said:

I'm no expert, but I don't think that gravity is moving in this example. There are no gravitational waves being emitted by a source, you just have a static gravitational field, like what you have here on Earth only much stronger.

Mister T said:
I don't think that gravity is moving in this example.

This is correct, but not for quite the reason you give. See below.

Mister T said:
There are no gravitational waves being emitted by a source

Correct.

Mister T said:
you just have a static gravitational field, like what you have here on Earth only much stronger

The problem with this viewpoint is that it only works outside the black hole's horizon. At and inside the horizon, the concept of "gravity field" doesn't make sense. The only viewpoint you can really use that works in this regime is the spacetime curvature viewpoint. In that viewpoint, gravity never "moves" because spacetime curvature never "moves". It just is--it's a 4-dimensional geometry.

PeterDonis said:
Actually, according to GR, gravity is spacetime curvature. That's probably the best viewpoint to adopt in this thread.
You are right, as always :smile:

Awesome :) thanks.

1. Can gravity affect the speed of light?

Yes, gravity can affect the speed of light. According to Einstein's theory of general relativity, gravity is the curvature of space and time caused by massive objects. This curvature can cause light to follow a curved path, altering its speed.

2. Does gravity slow down light?

Yes, gravity can slow down light. This is known as gravitational time dilation, where the closer an object is to a massive body, the slower time moves and the slower light travels.

3. How much does gravity slow down light?

The amount of gravity's effect on light depends on the strength of the gravitational force and the distance between the light source and the massive object. In extremely strong gravitational fields, such as near a black hole, light can be significantly slowed down.

4. Can gravity make light travel faster?

No, gravity cannot make light travel faster. Light always travels at a constant speed of approximately 299,792,458 meters per second in a vacuum. While gravity can affect the path of light, it cannot change its speed.

5. How does gravity affect the speed of light compared to other factors?

Gravity is one of the main factors that can affect the speed of light. Other factors include the medium through which light is traveling, such as air or water, and the presence of other objects in the path of light that can cause it to scatter or bend. However, in a vacuum, gravity has the most significant impact on the speed of light.