Register to reply

Dielectric slab in between plates of capacitor

by karanbir
Tags: capacitor, dielectric, plates, slab
Share this thread:
karanbir
May5-12, 05:06 AM
P: 7
i'm reposting this question as nobody answered it previously. please answer it this time.

in given type of arrangement we normally take it equivalent to two capacitors(plate 1 and surface 2) and (surface 2 and plate 3) in series. My question is that a capacitor is formed with two plates of equal and opposite charge but the induced charge on dielectric slab(surface 2) is less than the charge on plates 1 and 3 which is clear by the formula q(ind)=q(1-1/k), then how can we assume plate 1 and surface 2 as one capacitor?
Attached Images
File Type: bmp untitled.bmp (267.3 KB, 3 views)
Phys.Org News Partner Physics news on Phys.org
Engineers develop new sensor to detect tiny individual nanoparticles
Tiny particles have big potential in debate over nuclear proliferation
Ray tracing and beyond
davenn
May5-12, 05:15 AM
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 2,669
making demands on people for answers is not the wisest way to engender help

definately doesnt encourage me to help you :(

Dave
Hassan2
May5-12, 06:26 AM
P: 409
Here is one way to justify this method:
Place a hypothetical conducting plate (with infinitesimal thinness) on the other face of the dielectric and you have two capacitors in series now! Since the plate doesn't change the electric field E , the voltage difference between the two REAL plates remains the same. So does charge Q on each plane which depends on the normal component of E. Thus the ratio Q/V=C is also remains the same.

Register to reply