Register to reply

Deep freeze

by azizlwl
Tags: deep, freeze
Share this thread:
azizlwl
Apr28-12, 07:44 AM
P: 963
Today i watched Discovery about the fate of the universe.
One of the presenters said that finally all the energies used up and the universe will be in deep freeze.

My question is where all the energies go?
What about conservation of energies?

Thank you.
Phys.Org News Partner Astronomy news on Phys.org
Thermonuclear X-ray bursts on neutron stars set speed record
How can we find tiny particles in exoplanet atmospheres?
Spitzer telescope witnesses asteroid smashup
tiny-tim
Apr28-12, 08:23 AM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
Thanks
P: 26,148
hi azizlwl!
Quote Quote by azizlwl View Post
i think the energy stays the same, but the energy density tends to zero
Drakkith
Apr28-12, 09:51 PM
Mentor
P: 11,878
One of the presenters said that finally all the energies used up and the universe will be in deep freeze.

Thank you.
Over time the stars will run out of fuel and cease to shine and all thermal energy will be radiated away from all objects. Without a source of energy the entire universe will gradually approach absolute zero. The expansion of the universe ensures that any energy radiated away will be redshifted into longer wavelength light, lowering it's energy. Energy conservation does not apply in it's normal form when dealing with the expansion of the universe. The subject is actually kind of complicated and I have no chance of trying to explain the details.

Radrook
May6-12, 03:05 PM
P: 334
Deep freeze

Here are two relevant articles you might want to read.

Future of an expanding universe
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Future_...nding_universe

Second law of thermodynamics "broken"
http://www.newscientist.com/article/...cs-broken.html
DhruvKumar
May28-12, 08:06 AM
P: 14
Quote Quote by Drakkith View Post
Over time the stars will run out of fuel and cease to shine and all thermal energy will be radiated away from all objects. Without a source of energy the entire universe will gradually approach absolute zero. The expansion of the universe ensures that any energy radiated away will be redshifted into longer wavelength light, lowering it's energy. Energy conservation does not apply in it's normal form when dealing with the expansion of the universe. The subject is actually kind of complicated and I have no chance of trying to explain the details.
It doesn't mean that universe will freeze , universe will have less energy.Universe will not freeze at once it will start from the end where there is less supply of energy.
FOIWATER
May28-12, 02:32 PM
PF Gold
P: 375
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heat_death_of_the_universe
Drakkith
May29-12, 01:16 AM
Mentor
Quote Quote by DhruvKumar View Post
It doesn't mean that universe will freeze , universe will have less energy.Universe will not freeze at once it will start from the end where there is less supply of energy.
The cooling process will occur equally everywhere in the universe when you look at the largest scales. At the smaller scales individual sections and objects will vary, but over time these variations will die off as the final stars begin to run out of fuel, white dwarfs cool off, etc.
DhruvKumar
May29-12, 01:23 AM
The cooling process will occur equally everywhere in the universe when you look at the largest scales. At the smaller scales individual sections and objects will vary, but over time these variations will die off as the final stars begin to run out of fuel, white dwarfs cool off, etc.
All stars will not runoff fuel at once. will it?
Drakkith
May29-12, 01:26 AM
Mentor
Quote Quote by DhruvKumar View Post
All stars will not runoff fuel at once. will it?
Nope. Stars are being created and die off all the time, with the exact lifetime of each star depending mostly on it's initial mass. High mass stars will live for a much shorter time than low mass stars. Low mass red dwarfs will still be hot and shining for many many billions of years.
qraal
May31-12, 05:04 AM
P: 775

Thank you.
Energy remains the same. What declines are the temperature differences. Eventually a bland equilibrium will be reached, meaning the end of all change.
DhruvKumar
Jun1-12, 05:53 AM
Nope. Stars are being created and die off all the time, with the exact lifetime of each star depending mostly on it's initial mass. High mass stars will live for a much shorter time than low mass stars. Low mass red dwarfs will still be hot and shining for many many billions of years.
ya thatz what i was thinking of.
DhruvKumar
Jun1-12, 05:55 AM
Today I am very happy because i have created my own telescope from 100 cm focal length convex lense.
DhruvKumar
Jun1-12, 05:55 AM

Today I am very happy because i have created my own telescope from 100 cm focal length convex lense.

Register to reply