Register to reply

Would different intensities affect the droptime of parachutes?

Share this thread:
GuMing
May8-12, 07:29 AM
P: 15
Would the drop time of two parachute be the same if the wind intensity they experience is different? (Assuming everything is the same).

I know the fact that the wind caused them to fall sideways would not cause a difference since the vertical height is the same. Could anyone please tell me the answer? Your help would be greatly appreciated. :D
Phys.Org News Partner Physics news on Phys.org
Physicists discuss quantum pigeonhole principle
First in-situ images of void collapse in explosives
The first supercomputer simulations of 'spin?orbit' forces between neutrons and protons in an atomic nucleus
A.T.
May8-12, 07:46 AM
P: 3,911
Quote Quote by GuMing View Post
Would the drop time of two parachute be the same if the wind intensity they experience is different? (Assuming everything is the same).
What do you mean by "wind intensity they experience". The wind relative to them or the true wind over ground?
I know the fact that the wind caused them to fall sideways would not cause a difference since the vertical height is the same.
That is correct for constant uniform wind over ground.
GuMing
May8-12, 08:07 AM
P: 15
What I mean is the wind that is not from their top and bottom, but from their left, right, front or back.

A.T.
May8-12, 09:22 AM
P: 3,911
Would different intensities affect the droptime of parachutes?

What I mean is the wind that is not from their top and bottom, but from their left, right, front or back.
I understand that the wind is horizontal. My question was if it is air movement relative to the ground, or relative to the parachuted object that is supposed to be different.

Different constant uniform winds relative to the ground will not affect the fall time.
haruspex
May9-12, 07:29 AM
Homework
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
Thanks
P: 9,645
Dropped from a stationary point, there will be a slight slowing early in the descent, before the horizontal movement of the parachutist has matched the windspeed.
The reason is the same one that makes a cyclist struggle in a perfect crosswind - that drag is more than proportional to relative speed. If the cyclist has roadspeed V and the crosswind is W, the nett wind is (V^2+W^2)^(1/2). If the drag goes as the cube of speed then the drag force is (V^2+W^2)^(3/2). The component of this that retards the cyclist is ((V^2+W^2)^(3/2))(V/(V^2+W^2)^(1/2)) = (V^2+W^2).V, rather more than the V^3 of calm conditions.

Register to reply