Writing the Lagrangians for different frames depending on how "the ball is dropped"

gionole
I wanna be checking homogeneity of space(only interested in vertical) for simplicity and example we can do is "ball is dropped". To check homogeneity, we use either passive or active transformation and I'm interested in lagrangians.

I heard that we can write lagrangians such as: ##L = \frac{1}{2}m\dot q^2 - mgy## and ##L' = \frac{1}{2} m\dot q'^2 - mg(y'+a)##. This comes from the fact that ##y = y'+a##. (we seem to have y and y' frame).

Question 1: it seems to me that lagrangians that I wrote are an example of passive transformation, because of ##y = y'+a##. It's like the ball is only dropped from single location(one experiment), but we write lagrangians for the ball such as seen from each frame. Is this right ? as in, am I right that this is passive, or can we also call it active ?

Question 2: Active transformation seems such as ball must be dropped from 2 different locations(2 different locations). So we drop a ball from some height, and then we move up and drop it from higher location. How would we go about writing Lagrangians for each experiment ? using the same lagrangians as shown above doesn't seem correct to me, as I think it's passive.

Physics news on Phys.org
@berkeman would love to remove that thread as the question there is not asked correctly. but i can't delete it.

Likes Dale
gionole said:
@berkeman would love to remove that thread as the question there is not asked correctly. but i can't delete it.
Okay, I closed off the previous thread with a note pointing to this improved version here.

@berkeman can you close this as well ? Don't want people to spend time on it. I've figured it out. Thanks.

Sure, thanks for the heads-up. I've closed off this thread now; I'm glad that you figured it out.

Likes gionole

1. How do you write the Lagrangian for a ball dropped from a stationary frame?

The Lagrangian for a ball dropped from a stationary frame can be written as the sum of its kinetic and potential energy, where the kinetic energy is given by 1/2*m*v^2 and the potential energy is given by m*g*h, where m is the mass of the ball, v is its velocity, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and h is the height of the ball from the ground.

2. What is the difference between writing the Lagrangian for a ball dropped from a stationary frame and a moving frame?

The main difference is that in a moving frame, the ball has an additional velocity component due to the motion of the frame. This component must be taken into account when writing the kinetic energy term in the Lagrangian, resulting in a more complex expression.

3. How do you write the Lagrangian for a ball dropped from a rotating frame?

The Lagrangian for a ball dropped from a rotating frame can be written as the sum of its kinetic and potential energy, similar to the stationary frame case. However, in this case, the kinetic energy term must also take into account the rotational motion of the frame, resulting in an additional term involving the angular velocity of the frame.

4. Can the Lagrangian be used to describe the motion of a ball dropped from any frame?

Yes, the Lagrangian can be used to describe the motion of a ball dropped from any frame, as long as the appropriate terms for the kinetic and potential energy are included based on the specific characteristics of the frame and the ball's motion.

5. How does writing the Lagrangian help in understanding the motion of a ball dropped from different frames?

Writing the Lagrangian allows us to analyze the motion of the ball using the principle of least action, which states that the actual motion of the ball will follow the path that minimizes the action integral. This approach provides a more intuitive understanding of the motion and allows for the derivation of the equations of motion for the ball in different frames.