Ideas for a Physics Experiment?

by Drumz
Tags: experiment, ideas, physics
Drumz
May8-12, 08:07 PM
P: 1
Hi everyone, I have a project in school coming up where I need to come up with my own idea for a physics experiment, record data on said experiment, and report my findings to the class in a presentation. I'm a bit stumped as to what I should do, as I want to do something that I'd actually be interested in. My main interest is computers, but I can't think of any experiment that I could do with computers that would involve recording data.

Also, my teacher would like for our experiment to have data that are physical quantities (acceleration, velocity, mass, etc.), so that also rules out many things I could do with computers. We also have to make tables and graphs of the data.

The only other main interests that come to mind that I could maybe do an experiment on are soccer and music.

I feel bad asking for ideas, but I can't think of anything!

Thanks a lot!

If this is in the wrong section, sorry!

EDIT:
Some extra info:
- High school level physics course
- Mostly focused on energy, kinematics, dynamics, and circular motion
Phys.Org News Partner Physics news on Phys.org
The hemihelix: Scientists discover a new shape using rubber bands (w/ video)
Mapping the road to quantum gravity
Chameleon crystals could enable active camouflage (w/ video)
HallsofIvy
May8-12, 08:18 PM
Math
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
Thanks
PF Gold
P: 38,904
Quote Quote by Drumz View Post
Hi everyone, I have a project in school coming up where I need to come up with my own idea for a physics experiment, record data on said experiment, and report my findings to the class in a presentation. I'm a bit stumped as to what I should do, as I want to do something that I'd actually be interested in. My main interest is computers, but I can't think of any experiment that I could do with computers that would involve recording data.

Also, my teacher would like for our experiment to have data that are physical quantities (acceleration, velocity, mass, etc.), so that also rules out many things I could do with computers.
Nah, you could also drop a number of computers of the top of a building and see how many pieces it break into! (Joke, that was a joke! Don't do it!)

We also have to make tables and graphs of the data.

The only other main interests that come to mind that I could maybe do an experiment on are soccer and music.
Okay, how about hitting a soccer ball with various forces and measuring how far they go. You will need to think about how to measure the various forces. Or blocking a taut piano wire at various points and measuring the tone produced.

I feel bad asking for ideas, but I can't think of anything!

Thanks a lot!

If this is in the wrong section, sorry!

EDIT:
Some extra info:
- High school level physics course
- Mostly focused on energy, kinematics, dynamics, and circular motion

Register to reply