Register to reply

Calculating the Force a driver receives when colliding into the side of another car

by BCole
Tags: colliding, driver, force, receives
Share this thread:
BCole
May8-12, 08:46 PM
P: 1
I am having some troubles figuring out how to calculate the force that the driver receives during a collision, I understand the physics of a car hitting a wall very well. but I have troubles calculating the force received when hitting another object in motion, not in a head on collision, but hitting the passengers side door. . any help would be appreciated.
Phys.Org News Partner Physics news on Phys.org
New study refines biological evolution model
Fiber optic light pipes in the retina do much more than simple image transfer
Production phase for LSST camera sensors nears
haruspex
May9-12, 06:37 AM
Homework
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
Thanks ∞
P: 9,643
If you suppose the cars to be equal in mass and compressibility, it would be like hitting an unyielding wall at one half the speed.
That said, computing the forces is not trivial. Modern cars are designed to absorb impacts by collapsing at a fairly constant resistance, so, after the first metre or so, you can maybe take the force as constant. Then you can divide the KE of the driver by the stopping distance. In practice, the force will tend to rise during the impact.

Register to reply