Motorcycle, the force exerted upon from collision

In summary, the motorcycle was traveling at a constant speed of 40 MPH in a straight line when it was hit by the Suv. The force generated by the collision was sustained by the motorcycle and would have been enough to cause it to collapse. The frame of the motorcycle is made out of cast aluminum, which may not be able to withstand the force of the collision.
Stukapilot
TL;DR Summary
I was recently involved in an MVA (motor vehicle accident) and was riding a motorcycle. Fortunately, I was wearing full motorcycle gear (Helmut, gloves, boots), and my injuries were limited to superficial wounds and broken ribs. However, the insurance company wants to try and repair the bike. I feel that the frame's integrity cannot be intact, given the force exerted upon it. Can anyone give an idea of the force my motorcycle had to endure?
001 MVA graphic 5-26-2022 cropped.JPG

Synopsis, The insurance company wants to repair this 3-year-old motorcycle with 3400 miles on the odo father taking this hit. The motorcycle was modified with an aftermarket "engine guard," which was made out of powder-coated steel tubing and bolted directly to the frame which is made out of cast aluminum. The owner of the motorcycle does not believe that the frame of this bike can still have structural integrity after taking such force. All of the energy of this collision was transferred from the Suv to the engine guard and then to the frame.

V1 "Suv" speed 15 MPH. Mass of Suv 5500 lbs (Toyota Highlander 2020)
V2 "motorcycle" speed 40 MPH. Mass of motorcycle 600 lbs (Suzuki V-Strom 1000, Adventure Bike 2019)
The Suv "rolled" right through the stop sign at a speed of ~ 15-18 MPH. The motorcycle was traveling at a constant speed of 40 MPH in a straight line and did not have time to maneuver out of the way.

What was the force generated by this collision that would have been sustained by the motorcycle?
Can cast aluminum still have structural integrity after taking such force?
What about the other parts since the whole bike was, in essence, taking the force of this collision?

Any help would be greatly appreciated in making a case for this bike to be a total loss. I would not feel comfortable going down an off-road trail or cruising down the interstate when the frame gives way. Thanks in advance. I don't see how the insurance company will pay to have the bike disassembled and the frame inspected with an X-Ray or Dye to check for micro-fractures.

Physics news on Phys.org
Sorry Stuka, per the PF rules that you agreed to when you joined here, we do not assist in accident investigations. As a fellow rider (YZF-R1 and CRF-450), I'm glad you are okay. Ride safe.

1. What is the force exerted upon a motorcycle during a collision?

The force exerted upon a motorcycle during a collision is dependent on several factors such as the speed and mass of the motorcycle, as well as the speed and mass of the other object involved in the collision. This force is typically measured in Newtons (N).

2. How does the force of a collision affect the rider of the motorcycle?

The force of a collision can greatly impact the rider of a motorcycle. Depending on the force and direction of the impact, the rider may experience injuries ranging from minor bruises to more severe injuries such as broken bones or head trauma.

3. Is there a way to reduce the force exerted upon a motorcycle during a collision?

There are several measures that can be taken to reduce the force exerted upon a motorcycle during a collision. These include wearing proper safety gear, such as a helmet and protective clothing, and following traffic laws and safe driving practices to minimize the risk of a collision.

4. How does the design of a motorcycle affect the force of a collision?

The design of a motorcycle can greatly impact the force of a collision. Motorcycles with larger and heavier frames may have more momentum and therefore exert a greater force in a collision. Additionally, the placement of the rider and any added safety features, such as airbags, can also affect the force of a collision.

5. Are there any safety regulations in place to reduce the force of a collision for motorcycles?

Yes, there are safety regulations in place for motorcycles to help reduce the force of a collision. These include mandatory helmet laws, as well as regulations for the design and production of motorcycles to ensure they meet certain safety standards. Additionally, there are laws and regulations for safe driving practices that can help prevent collisions from occurring in the first place.