I section vs square section

by Analysis
Tags: square
Share this thread:
Analysis
May8-12, 10:39 PM
P: 55
Dear all

Apart from cost saving (or reduction in material)what is the technical advantage using I section instead of square section?

My application is,section is going to be simply supported to the static load.myself awared that I section is good for bending loads.Instead i am using square section,so my area moment of inertia will be high,the bending stress would be low.

Kindly comment the above subject.

Thanks
Prakash
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Flapping baby birds give clues to origin of flight
Prions can trigger 'stuck' wine fermentations, researchers find
Socially-assistive robots help kids with autism learn by providing personalized prompts
Pkruse
May9-12, 06:36 AM
P: 490
I use square sections when I want a cleaner or more attractive design, or when I have a bending component in the other plan. Less surface area collects less dust and is easier to wash down. When galvanizing less surface area uses less and is easier to ensure a uniform coating.
HallsofIvy
May9-12, 09:29 AM
Math
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
Thanks
PF Gold
P: 39,544
The most important reason to use an "I beam" (or "I section") is that it has much less volume and so much less weight than a square section of the same dimensions. And, since such things as "bending moment" depend upon the length in varying directions rather than volume, you don't lose strength.

FAlonso
May9-12, 01:25 PM
P: 100
I section vs square section

I beam definitely is an obvious choice for situations where bending moment is of prime concern. As long as following conditions are not true, you can always go for I-beam:

1: Manufacturing: Normally i beams are not available in smaller section and hard to join (welding etc)

2: I beam is a poor choice where you have loads acting transversely to the length of beam.

Register to reply