Cross section change and failure of tube

In summary, the conversation is discussing a personal project involving a 47 inch hollow steel tube that will be cut into a half circle tube. The tube will have a load of 200 lb at the top and the question is how to test if the tube will fail at the point where the cross section changes. The discussion also touches on support loadings, moments, stress equations, and the orientation and application of the load on the half section of the tube. Further details such as tube diameter, wall thickness, and the end where the cut is made are needed for clarification.
Spitfire199
Hey, working on something for a personal project and was wondering if you could point me in the right direction. I have a 47 inch hollow steel tube that I'm going to cut the end 6 inches into a half circle tube . I have a load of 200 lb at the top and am wondering how about I would quickly check if the tube will fail at the point where the cross section changes from a circle to a half circle. It should be simple but all my mechanics have lost me ha. So far i got support loadings and moments. Thinking I need to use the stress equation and moment of inertia ?

Let me know if this doesn't make sense

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    7.4 KB · Views: 404
Engineering news on Phys.org
I don't know about anyone else, but I'm having trouble figuring out what this is about. It looks like you have a beam with point loads. You cut the cross section in half, but you don't tell whether you have taken any of the material away or whether it is just a slit. You also don't tell which end the cut is made.

Likes Baluncore
It's good to see from the diagram that the length is 47”, when I read the question I thought it was the diameter.
What is the tube diameter, and have you decided wall thickness yet ?

If the half tube cut-out will be where the 1400 lb load is applied at 44”, from the 41” to 47” part on the diagram, then what is the orientation of the half section that remains, and how will the load be applied to the tube at that point ?

1. What is a cross section change?

A cross section change refers to any change in the shape or size of a tube, usually due to external forces or internal stresses. This can be a gradual change over time or a sudden failure.

2. What causes a tube to fail?

There are several factors that can contribute to the failure of a tube. These include excessive external forces, such as pressure or temperature, internal defects or flaws in the material, and corrosion or erosion of the tube walls.

3. How can cross section change be detected?

Cross section changes can be detected through various methods such as visual inspection, ultrasonic testing, and radiographic testing. These techniques can identify changes in the shape or thickness of the tube, as well as any defects or flaws.

4. Can cross section change be prevented?

While some cross section changes may be unavoidable, there are steps that can be taken to prevent or minimize them. This includes regular maintenance and inspection of tubes, using high-quality materials, and avoiding excessive external forces or stresses.

5. What are the consequences of a tube failure?

The consequences of a tube failure can vary depending on the specific situation. In some cases, it can lead to a loss of function or efficiency in a system, while in others it can result in serious accidents or damage. Therefore, it is important to address any cross section changes or potential failures as soon as they are detected.