Collecting energy from a hot diffuse source

In summary, the conversation discusses the goal of collecting and focusing as much energy as possible from a column of hot gas into a fiber optic for experiments in inverse radiation methods. The question at hand is how to best collimate the diffuse source of energy using a fiber coupler with an acceptance angle θ.
edge540t
Alright, let's see what ideas everyone comes up with on this question. I'm no optics guru, so I'm hoping you have better ideas than me. Here's the situation: I have a column of hot gas wherein every gas molecule emits radiation over 4π sr. At one end of the column I have a window where emitted energy can pass through to be collected. The end goal is to collect as much energy as possible from this hot gas column and focus it into a fiber optic. I have a fiber coupler that accepts collimated light and focuses it into the fiber. So, the question becomes what is the best way to collimate as much energy as possible from this diffuse source so it will go into my fiber? The coupler has some acceptance angle θ (it accepts a column + some small divergence.

Physics news on Phys.org
edge540t said:
Alright, let's see what ideas everyone comes up with on this question. I'm no optics guru, so I'm hoping you have better ideas than me. Here's the situation: I have a column of hot gas wherein every gas molecule emits radiation over 4π sr. At one end of the column I have a window where emitted energy can pass through to be collected. The end goal is to collect as much energy as possible from this hot gas column and focus it into a fiber optic. I have a fiber coupler that accepts collimated light and focuses it into the fiber. So, the question becomes what is the best way to collimate as much energy as possible from this diffuse source so it will go into my fiber? The coupler has some acceptance angle θ (it accepts a column + some small divergence.

Welcome to the PF. What is the application? Is this a school project?

This is part of the design for some experiments I need to run as part of my doctoral research. The application is inverse radiation methods. I want to collect radiation, send it to my spectrometer, then use the measured spectrum to deduce the temperature and/or mole fractions of gases in the chamber that emitted the radiation.

1. How does collecting energy from a hot diffuse source work?

Collecting energy from a hot diffuse source involves using a device, such as a solar collector or heat exchanger, to capture the heat energy radiating from a hot surface. This heat is then converted into usable energy, such as electricity or heat for heating systems, through various processes.

2. What are the benefits of collecting energy from a hot diffuse source?

There are several benefits to collecting energy from a hot diffuse source. First, it is a renewable energy source, meaning it can be replenished naturally. It is also a clean energy source, as it does not produce harmful emissions. Additionally, collecting energy from a hot diffuse source can reduce reliance on traditional fossil fuels and lower energy costs in the long run.

3. What types of hot diffuse sources can be used for energy collection?

There are several types of hot diffuse sources that can be used for energy collection, including solar energy from the sun, geothermal energy from the Earth's heat, and waste heat from industrial processes or buildings. Other potential sources include heat from bodies of water or air, as well as heat produced from composting or biogas production.

4. How efficient is collecting energy from a hot diffuse source?

The efficiency of collecting energy from a hot diffuse source depends on various factors, such as the type of energy collection device used, the temperature and intensity of the heat source, and the conversion process. Generally, solar energy collection can be up to 20% efficient, while geothermal energy can reach up to 50% efficiency.

5. Are there any limitations to collecting energy from a hot diffuse source?

While there are many benefits to collecting energy from a hot diffuse source, there are also some limitations. One limitation is that the availability of these heat sources may vary, making it challenging to rely on them as a primary energy source. Additionally, the efficiency of energy collection may be affected by factors such as weather conditions and the location of the heat source.