Problems Collimating 1550nm light

• Thread starter djhon
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Light
In summary, the interference rings that appear when trying to use an IR coated lens to build a collimation system for a 1550 nm light source appear when the end of the fiber is placed at the focus length of the microscope objective. Changing the position of the fiber either closer to the optic or further away does not seem to help.
djhon
Hello,

I'm trying to obtain a collimated beam from my 1550 nm light source.

I have a fibered mono-mode source and when I analyze its profile with an IR camera at one end of the fiber, it appears clean.

But when I put an IR coated microscope objective or an IR coated lens between the end of the fiber and the camera to start to build my collimation system, interference rings appear.

I know that, for reflection, when you use a thin glass slide (for example) you obtain interferences but here, I can't explain why I obtain this phenomenon in transmission.

I tried to change my fiber, to put the end of the fiber at the focus length of the microscope objective, then closer to the optic or further, to use a lens with small focus length (2.5 mm) and bigger focus length (20 mm) ... I obtain these rings all the time.

I'm sure I missed something simple.
Does anybody know how to deal with these rings ?

Science news on Phys.org
up :)

djhon said:
Hello,

I'm trying to obtain a collimated beam from my 1550 nm light source.

I have a fibered mono-mode source and when I analyze its profile with an IR camera at one end of the fiber, it appears clean.

But when I put an IR coated microscope objective or an IR coated lens between the end of the fiber and the camera to start to build my collimation system, interference rings appear.

I know that, for reflection, when you use a thin glass slide (for example) you obtain interferences but here, I can't explain why I obtain this phenomenon in transmission.

I tried to change my fiber, to put the end of the fiber at the focus length of the microscope objective, then closer to the optic or further, to use a lens with small focus length (2.5 mm) and bigger focus length (20 mm) ... I obtain these rings all the time.

I'm sure I missed something simple.
Does anybody know how to deal with these rings ?

Can you confirm that the fringes appearing in IR coated lens case is the true fringes ? Is your system fully functional with IR lens ? Are you certain that the fringes are not due to interference of the reflected part of your IR beam and the IR source ?

What is collimation and why is it important in 1550nm light?

Collimation is the process of aligning light waves to be parallel to each other. For 1550nm light, it is particularly important because this wavelength is commonly used in telecommunications and must be tightly focused for optimal transmission and reception.

What are the common problems encountered when collimating 1550nm light?

Some of the common problems include beam divergence, beam wander, and poor alignment. These can result in a decrease in signal strength and a decrease in overall system performance.

How can I determine if my 1550nm light is properly collimated?

There are several methods for determining proper collimation, including using a beam profiler or performing a far-field analysis. These techniques can help measure the divergence and alignment of the light beam.

What are some techniques for collimating 1550nm light?

Some commonly used techniques include using lenses, mirrors, or fiber optics. These can be adjusted to focus the light beam and improve collimation. Other techniques include using diffraction gratings or holographic elements to manipulate the light waves.

What are the potential consequences of not properly collimating 1550nm light?

If 1550nm light is not properly collimated, it can result in decreased signal strength, reduced data transmission rates, and increased noise in telecommunications systems. In scientific research, it can lead to inaccurate data and unreliable results.