Register to reply

Bermuda triangle

by azlan naeem
Tags: bermuda triangle, gravitational forces
Share this thread:
azlan naeem
May12-12, 12:08 AM
P: 2
What is Bermuda Triangle? Is gravitational Forces exist there or not?
Phys.Org News Partner Physics news on Phys.org
Optimum inertial self-propulsion design for snowman-like nanorobot
The Quantum Cheshire Cat: Can neutrons be located at a different place than their own spin?
A transistor-like amplifier for single photons
tiny-tim
May12-12, 04:09 AM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
Thanks
P: 26,157
hi azlan naeem!
Quote Quote by azlan naeem View Post
it certainly isn't gravity!

for a list of natural explanations, see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bermuda...l_explanations
sophiecentaur
May14-12, 11:19 AM
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 11,942
Quote Quote by azlan naeem View Post
If there were none then we would be using the location for space launches.
If the forces were significantly different at that location then there would be a 'hill' or 'valley' in the seawater.

Whovian
May14-12, 11:44 AM
P: 642
Bermuda triangle

I just feel like pointing this out, just in case anyone feels like citing a very unreliable documentary from History Channel which tries to claim that the Bermuda Triangle's caused by a Black Hole or Wormhole,

First of all, any black holes that are large enough to not starve are probably large enough to have a more large scale effect.

Second, it's History Channel. Almost nothing they do nowadays is reliable.
Dead Boss
May14-12, 11:58 AM
P: 150
I just feel like pointing this out, just in case anyone feels like citing a very unreliable documentary from History Channel which tries to claim that the Bermuda Triangle's caused by a Black Hole or Wormhole,

First of all, any black holes that are large enough to not starve are probably large enough to have a more large scale effect.

Second, it's History Channel. Almost nothing they do is reliable.
Not to mention that if it can suck airplanes and ships, it can suck all the water there.
Seriously who came up with that idea?
Whovian
May14-12, 12:03 PM
P: 642
Quote Quote by Dead Boss View Post
Not to mention that if it can suck airplanes and ships, it can suck all the goddamn water there.
Seriously who came up with that idea?
History Channel.
meldraft
May14-12, 12:04 PM
P: 280
^ ^ lol

Actually, I remember reading that if you go through the official, documented disappearance incidents in the area, the statistics are not very different than any other (similar) area in the world.

Of course, aliens have been well known to alter statistics
DaveC426913
May14-12, 12:10 PM
P: 15,319
Quote Quote by meldraft View Post
Actually, I remember reading that if you go through the official, documented disappearance incidents in the area, the statistics are not very different than any other (similar) area in the world.
Yep. Me too. Though I cannot back that up with citations. Except Wiki:

• The number of ships and aircraft reported missing in the area was not significantly greater, proportionally speaking, than in any other part of the ocean.
  • In an area frequented by tropical storms, the number of disappearances that did occur were, for the most part, neither disproportionate, unlikely, nor mysterious;
  • Furthermore, Berlitz and other writers would often fail to mention such storms or even represent the disappearance as having happened in calm conditions when meteorological records clearly contradict this.
  • The numbers themselves had been exaggerated by sloppy research. A boat's disappearance, for example, would be reported, but its eventual (if belated) return to port may not have been.
  • Some disappearances had, in fact, never happened. One plane crash was said to have taken place in 1937 off Daytona Beach, Florida, in front of hundreds of witnesses; a check of the local papers revealed nothing.
  • The legend of the Bermuda Triangle is a manufactured mystery, perpetuated by writers who either purposely or unknowingly made use of misconceptions, faulty reasoning, and sensationalism

Register to reply