Gamma Ray Bursters vs Quasars?

In summary, GRBs are the most luminous events in the universe, while quasars are the most luminous "static" sources of energy.
aguycalledwil
Okay, so this may be a little bit of a trivial question, but I've read conflicting information and found myself confused as a result.

I've read from several sources (wikipedia, books) that GRB's are the most luminous events known to occur in our universe.

However, I've also read that Quasars are 'the most energetic and luminous objects in the known universe' (the physics book - Cllifford A. Pickover).

So my question is, which is brighter? Nowhere that I've found on the net addresses the question. Some sites favour GRB's and others favour quasars, but nowhere compares them. Does anybody have any quantitive values?

Thanks in advance!

Astronomy news on Phys.org
I'm probably remembering incorrectly, but aren't GRBs caused by Quasars, or at least we think so(?)

Not as far as I know.. I thought GRBs were short-lived bursts of gamma radiation as a result of a star's collapse into an ordinary black hole, which occur frequently all over the universe, whilst a quasar is an ancient supermassive black hole that emits intense radio waves. It's to my understanding that quasars were only present early on in the universe's history, which isn't true for GRBs? Maybe I'm mistaken..

aguycalledwil said:
Not as far as I know.. I thought GRBs were short-lived bursts of gamma radiation as a result of a star's collapse into an ordinary black hole, which occur frequently all over the universe, whilst a quasar is an ancient supermassive black hole that emits intense radio waves. It's to my understanding that quasars were only present early on in the universe's history, which isn't true for GRBs? Maybe I'm mistaken..

This is basically correct. The problem that the OP cites is mainly one of terminology. In terms of amount of energy released per second, GRBs are undoubtedly the most luminous events in the universe during the brief time over which they occur. Quasars, on the other hand, are the most luminous "static" sources of energy (I use quotation marks because quasars do show rapid variability).

Thanks very much, that makes sense to me! It's been bugging me for ages now, glad to get that cleared up. Thanks!

1. What is the difference between Gamma Ray Bursters and Quasars?

Gamma Ray Bursters (GRBs) and Quasars are both extremely energetic astronomical objects, but they differ in their origins. GRBs are thought to be caused by the collapse of a massive star or the merger of two neutron stars, while Quasars are powered by supermassive black holes at the center of galaxies.

2. Which is more powerful, a Gamma Ray Burster or a Quasar?

It is difficult to compare the power of GRBs and Quasars, as they emit different types of radiation and have different durations. However, in terms of luminosity, Quasars are generally considered to be more powerful, with some emitting thousands of times more energy than the entire Milky Way galaxy.

3. Can Gamma Ray Bursters and Quasars be seen with the naked eye?

No, neither GRBs nor Quasars can be seen with the naked eye. GRBs only last for a few seconds to a few minutes, and Quasars are located at extremely far distances, making them too faint to be seen without powerful telescopes.

4. Are Gamma Ray Bursters and Quasars dangerous to Earth?

GRBs and Quasars are not dangerous to Earth. GRBs only occur in distant galaxies and are not powerful enough to reach Earth. Quasars also pose no threat, as their jets are pointed away from Earth and do not emit dangerous levels of radiation.

5. How do scientists study Gamma Ray Bursters and Quasars?

Scientists study GRBs and Quasars using a variety of tools, including telescopes that can detect gamma rays, radio waves, X-rays, and other forms of radiation. They also use computer simulations and mathematical models to understand the physics behind these phenomena.