Register to reply

Gamma Ray Bursters vs Quasars?

by aguycalledwil
Tags: bright, brighter, grbs, luminous, quasars
Share this thread:
aguycalledwil
May14-12, 10:51 AM
P: 37
Okay, so this may be a little bit of a trivial question, but I've read conflicting information and found myself confused as a result.

I've read from several sources (wikipedia, books) that GRB's are the most luminous events known to occur in our universe.

However, I've also read that Quasars are 'the most energetic and luminous objects in the known universe' (the physics book - Cllifford A. Pickover).

So my question is, which is brighter? Nowhere that I've found on the net addresses the question. Some sites favour GRB's and others favour quasars, but nowhere compares them. Does anybody have any quantitive values?

Thanks in advance!
Phys.Org News Partner Astronomy news on Phys.org
Eclipsing binary stars discovered by high school students
Swirling electrons in the whirlpool galaxy
A spectacular landscape of star formation
Whovian
May14-12, 11:38 AM
P: 642
I'm probably remembering incorrectly, but aren't GRBs caused by Quasars, or at least we think so(?)
aguycalledwil
May14-12, 12:45 PM
Not as far as I know.. I thought GRBs were short-lived bursts of gamma radiation as a result of a star's collapse into an ordinary black hole, which occur frequently all over the universe, whilst a quasar is an ancient supermassive black hole that emits intense radio waves. It's to my understanding that quasars were only present early on in the universe's history, which isn't true for GRBs? Maybe I'm mistaken..

Steely Dan
May14-12, 01:25 PM
P: 317
Gamma Ray Bursters vs Quasars?

Quote Quote by aguycalledwil View Post
Not as far as I know.. I thought GRBs were short-lived bursts of gamma radiation as a result of a star's collapse into an ordinary black hole, which occur frequently all over the universe, whilst a quasar is an ancient supermassive black hole that emits intense radio waves. It's to my understanding that quasars were only present early on in the universe's history, which isn't true for GRBs? Maybe I'm mistaken..
This is basically correct. The problem that the OP cites is mainly one of terminology. In terms of amount of energy released per second, GRBs are undoubtedly the most luminous events in the universe during the brief time over which they occur. Quasars, on the other hand, are the most luminous "static" sources of energy (I use quotation marks because quasars do show rapid variability).
aguycalledwil
May14-12, 02:02 PM
Thanks very much, that makes sense to me! It's been bugging me for ages now, glad to get that cleared up. Thanks!

Register to reply