Time dilation

by Huy
Tags: relativity, time dilation
Share this thread:
Huy
May22-12, 07:16 AM
P: 2
1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
We observe a spaceship moving away from the earth at a velocity of v = 0.866c. The space ship emits two light signals, the second one 4 seconds (Delta T') after the first one (measured on board). What is the time interval (Delta T) between the arrival of the two light signals on earth?

2. Relevant equations
Time dilation, Lorentz contraction, Lorentz transformation, invariance of space-time

3. The attempt at a solution
I basically applied Lorentz transformation: www.i.imgur.com/ylfOJ.jpg (please copy & paste, I can't include a link in my first ten posts...)
However, using my approach I arrive at Delta T = 14s, whereas the solution says it should be 15s. I hope my writing is readable and I'm sorry I didn't know whether this belongs to intro- or advanced physics, the educational system in my country differs from the U.S.' a lot...

Thanks for any help in advance.
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Security CTO to detail Android Fake ID flaw at Black Hat
Huge waves measured for first time in Arctic Ocean
Mysterious molecules in space
jedishrfu
May22-12, 07:37 AM
P: 2,805
did you factor in that the spaceship has moved further away in four seconds? This would delay the second signal a bit more.
Huy
May22-12, 11:59 AM
P: 2
I'm pretty sure I did, because basically, what I am doing in my solution is applying the Lorentz transformation to the inertial system of the spaceship which is moving away with constant velocity.

Register to reply