Frame of reference/ time dilation

In summary: Many of the questions are in this course, I have addressed such concerns with the faculty. They assured me that the questions are being reworded in order for such confusion to be avoided in the future. But I adjusted my answer according to your comments your help is very much appreciated.
Physics345

Homework Statement

Imagine that you are flying on an airliner on a long flight to Europe, at a constant speed of 300 m/s.
a) You throw a ball towards the back of the plane at 20 m/s. You then shine a beam of light towards the back of the plane. How will these two things-the ball and the light-appear to move, from the Earth's frame of reference? Explain any differences.
b) Would you expect your watch to be affected by time dilation? Explain your reasoning.

Homework Equations

none.

The Attempt at a Solution

a) The ball will move at 300 m⁄s-20 m⁄s=280 m⁄s [forward] from the earth’s frame of reference. It will move 20 m/s backwards in my frame of reference, since the ball moving from my frame of reference is relative to me and my viewpoint and the ball moving from the earth’s frame of reference is relative to the earth’s frame of reference. The light will move at c=3.0×〖10〗^8 m⁄s [forward] from the earth’s frame of reference, taking into account postulate 2 it will move c=3.0×〖10〗^8 m⁄s [forward] regardless of the frame of reference it is being viewed from.
b) No considering my time in the airliner would be according to my frame of reference and the air liner is not moving nearly fast enough for the time dilation to be occurring at a significant level, but it is occurring at an insignificant level. Considering the pervious statement, the watch that is in my frame of reference cannot and will not notice a change of time.

Physics news on Phys.org
Physics345 said:
b) No considering my time in the airliner would be according to my frame of reference and the air liner is not moving nearly fast enough for the time dilation to be occurring at a significant level, but it is occurring at an insignificant level. Considering the pervious statement, the watch that is in my frame of reference cannot and will not notice a change of time.
That depends entirely on the accuracy of the watch. Time dilation in airplanes has been measured so it can be done with current technology.

Likes Physics345
phinds said:
That depends entirely on the accuracy of the watch. Time dilation in airplanes has been measured so it can be done with current technology.
Yeah I'm aware of this but, the question right after this one refers to time dilation being measured with a clock that can measure time to many significant digits, so I assumed this is referring to a clock that cannot measure time to that many significant digits. You are correct though I should state that the case would be different if the clock could measure the difference.

Physics345 said:
Yeah I'm aware of this but, the question right after this one refers to time dilation being measured with a clock that can measure time to many significant digits, so I assumed this is referring to a clock that cannot measure time to that many significant digits. You are correct though I should state that the case would be different if the clock could measure the difference.
That seems to be self-contradictory

phinds said:
That seems to be self-contradictory
Many of the questions are in this course, I have addressed such concerns with the faculty. They assured me that the questions are being reworded in order for such confusion to be avoided in the future. But I adjusted my answer according to your comments your help is very much appreciated.
Note: If you take a look at https://www.physicsforums.com/threa...omic-clocks-one-in-orbit.941493/#post-5954024 it is the question I am referring to.

1. What is a frame of reference?

A frame of reference is a coordinate system that is used to describe the position and motion of objects. It is a set of axes that are used to measure the movement of an object relative to a fixed point or other objects.

2. How does time dilation occur in a frame of reference?

Time dilation occurs in a frame of reference when an object is moving at high speeds relative to another object. This causes time to appear to pass slower for the moving object compared to the stationary object due to the effects of special relativity.

3. Can time dilation be observed in everyday life?

Yes, time dilation can be observed in everyday life. For example, GPS satellites orbiting the Earth experience time dilation due to their high speeds, which must be accounted for in the calculations for accurate navigation.

4. How does the theory of general relativity explain time dilation?

The theory of general relativity explains time dilation as a result of the curvature of space-time caused by massive objects. This curvature affects the flow of time, causing it to pass differently for objects at different distances from the massive object.

5. Is time dilation always symmetrical between two objects in a frame of reference?

No, time dilation is not always symmetrical between two objects in a frame of reference. The degree of time dilation depends on the relative speeds and gravitational forces between the objects. In some cases, one object may experience more time dilation than the other.