Acid Base Theories

by hms.tech
Tags: acid, base, theories
hms.tech
May23-12, 11:23 PM
P: 247
what theories out of the major two ( Bronsted-Lowry Theory of acids and bases and The Lewis Theory of acids and bases) should we use in common problems, and which one is more reliable ?
Phys.Org News Partner Chemistry news on Phys.org
Space-tested fluid flow concept advances infectious disease diagnoses
New, more versatile version of Geckskin: Gecko-like adhesives now useful for real world surfaces
Researcher develops novel wastewater treatment fabric
Borek
May24-12, 01:57 AM
Admin
P: 22,676
Brønsted-Lowry. Lewis theory doesn't give a way to make quantitative predictions.
Acut
May24-12, 07:06 PM
P: 226
Borek, despite agreeing with your answer, I'm puzzled with its justification. In which cases would Bronsted-Lowry give a quantitative prediction (and Lewis' theory would fail to do so)?

I always thought that Arrhenius, Bronsted-Lowry and Lewis were all entirely qualitative definitions - simply defining what an acid and a base were and giving an idea of which reactions where possible.

Borek
May25-12, 03:43 PM
Admin

Acid Base Theories

It is not possible to use Lewis theory to create unambiguous acidity scale. Acid strength can be only determined relative to the selected base (and vice versa), and quite often it happens that depending on the selected base results are opposite (what seems to be a stronger base becomes a weak base after selecting different base as a reference point). In the case of Brønsted-Lowry this is not a problem, even if you move to different solvent relative strengths of acids are identical (or at least their ordering doesn't change - what was stronger is still stronger). In a way that's because proton gives a reference point, but proton presence (or autodissociation of a protic solvent) is one of the theory assumptions.

Try to find Adam Hulanicki's book Reactions of acids and bases in analytical chemistry for some more details (I guess it is n ot a problem to find discussion in other sources, this one I have here so I know it addresses the problem).
Acut
May26-12, 03:51 PM
P: 226
As always, Borek makes me learn something new!

Sadly, I couldn't find the book you suggested on my college's libraries. Do you have any other suggestions for books on the subject?
Borek
May26-12, 04:19 PM
Admin
Quote Quote by Acut View Post
Do you have any other suggestions for books on the subject?
Sorry, no. I don't have an easy access to the library so I have to work with what I have at home.

Register to reply