Time Dilation in Childrens Cartoon

by Mako Ruu
Tags: cartoon, childrens, dilation, time
Share this thread:
Mako Ruu
Jun21-12, 11:29 AM
P: 13
I was watching a cartoon with my niece.

Most of the time, cartoons have fairly simple things like 1+1=2 and so on.

But this time I saw an equation that looks rather complex.

I made a thread before about this, and tons of people replied.

If I can tell by what's visible, it's an equation for time dilation.

Coincidentally, the episode was about Time Travel. (The Protagonist in the photo, met herself in the beginning of the Episode, with a warning from her Future self getting cut off mid-sentence due to a finite amount of time she could spend in the past.)

Even though it's not important, I thought it was interesting and it would give everyone something to mull over for a few minutes.

Sorry for the poor angle, this was the best one available in the episode.

Phys.Org News Partner Physics news on Phys.org
A new, tunable device for spintronics
Watching the structure of glass under pressure
New imaging technique shows how cocaine shuts down blood flow in mouse brains
Vorde
Jun22-12, 11:33 PM
P: 784
Hmm, its nice to know that scientific knowledge is at least somewhat spread out amongst the general population.
ImaLooser
Jun24-12, 07:34 AM
P: 570
Quote Quote by Vorde View Post
Hmm, its nice to know that scientific knowledge is at least somewhat spread out amongst the general population.

You call a one-eyed purple unicorn the general population?

Vorde
Jun24-12, 12:17 PM
P: 784
Time Dilation in Childrens Cartoon

The point being that the inclusion of the Lorentz transformations implys that someone who probably has no professional scientific experience at all (the animator) knew something about relativity.
I like Serena
Jun24-12, 12:29 PM
HW Helper
P: 6,187
Yep. Those formulas look like time dilation formulas.
Nice that the formulas kids get to see actually mean something!

I remember being inspired by cartoons and books.
When things looked as if they might be possible, I wanted to know everything about them.
Mako Ruu
Jun25-12, 07:11 AM
I thought it was funny because one of the animators at least has to know what he or she is doing to chunk out a huge piece of Quantum Mechanics.

Even though I don't have a degree in physics, I'm fairly learned on the many of the various subjects, albeit the more popular ones.

Regardless, I just thought it was funny to see this equation in a television show aimed at children who still drink from sippy cups.

As for Imalooser's post. - She's normally cuter than this. In the show, she gets into various accidents trying to avoid the impending disaster she thinks is coming from the warning of her future self.

>picture is related

VortexLattice
Jun25-12, 08:22 AM
P: 146
I'm just gonna leave this here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=muVfidujxRg

Also, one of the writers of the Simpsons and a creator of Futurama, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_X._Cohen , was a physicist. So you see lots of very relevant equations written in the background in the Simpsons.
Mako Ruu
Jun25-12, 11:13 AM
Quote Quote by VortexLattice View Post
I'm just gonna leave this here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=muVfidujxRg

Also, one of the writers of the Simpsons and a creator of Futurama, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_X._Cohen , was a physicist. So you see lots of very relevant equations written in the background in the Simpsons.
Everyone knows that Pinkie Pie is a demi god.

It's the only explanation that she's able to do the things that she can do.
Zarqon
Jun26-12, 03:04 AM
P: 231
Quote Quote by Mako Ruu View Post
Regardless, I just thought it was funny to see this equation in a television show aimed at children who still drink from sippy cups.
Although, browsing through the web you quickly get the feeling that there are more grown up men watching this show than sippy cup children, so maybe the equations were aimed at them ;)
Mako Ruu
Jun26-12, 09:25 AM
Quote Quote by Zarqon View Post
Although, browsing through the web you quickly get the feeling that there are more grown up men watching this show than sippy cup children, so maybe the equations were aimed at them ;)

Also true, that may very well be the case. One of the animators giving a proverbial "shout out" to the adult males that watch the show. The odds of some of them being physicists is as high as any other profession given how many people watch the show.

(For instance, myself.)

Register to reply