What is the role of alpha 2 receptors?

by sameeralord
Tags: alpha, receptors, role
sameeralord
Sep18-12, 06:20 AM
P: 635
Hello everyone,

Ok my textbook says inhibition of transmitter release, vasoconstriction and more things. Now my question is what does inhibition of transmitter release mean. Since alpha 1 receptor is present on post synaptic membrane, and alpha 2 is present in pre synaptic membrane, does this mean alpha 2 actually controls the action of alpha 1 receptors by inhibiting neurotransmitter release. If that is the case why are there actions similar, shouldn't alpha 2 have oppposite actions of alpha 1 and actually decrease sympathetic activity. Also if you give a non selective alpha agonist which acts on both alpha 1 and alpha 2 receptors does vasodilation occur, how? Thank you
Phys.Org News Partner Medical research news on Phys.org
Low Vitamin D may not be a culprit in menopause symptoms
Masculine boys, feminine girls more likely to engage in cancer risk behaviors
Modified stem cells offer potential pathway to treat Alzheimer's disease
mazinse
Sep18-12, 03:22 PM
P: 190
It really depends on where the receptors are, but in general in the blood vessels alpha 2 does the negative feedback job, which is inhibitory. The agonist will constrict blood vessels, antagonist will dilate. The antihypertensive drugs for alpha blocking are usually type 1 at low doses, while both types at high doses, a part of its chemistry, cant be changed.
sameeralord
Sep19-12, 09:01 AM
Quote Quote by mazinse View Post
It really depends on where the receptors are, but in general in the blood vessels alpha 2 does the negative feedback job, which is inhibitory. The agonist will constrict blood vessels, antagonist will dilate. The antihypertensive drugs for alpha blocking are usually type 1 at low doses, while both types at high doses, a part of its chemistry, cant be changed.
Hey thanks for the help, but since I'm not very familiar with this area I'm bit confused. What I want to know is this. Ok Alpha 1 receptor generally causes vasocontriction. Now alpha 2 receptor can also cause general vasoconstriction. Now my question is alpha 2 also inhibits norepinephrine release, so shouldn't alpha 2 cause parasympathetic stuff, why is it doing sympathetic stuff if it is inhibiting release of nor epinephrine. Thanks

mazinse
Sep19-12, 03:33 PM

What is the role of alpha 2 receptors?

Alpha 2 leads to vasodilation in general arterial circulation. It's a negative feedback mechanism. The Alpha 1 is the constrictor and dominates.
sameeralord
Sep20-12, 12:18 AM
Quote Quote by mazinse View Post
Alpha 2 leads to vasodilation in general arterial circulation. It's a negative feedback mechanism. The Alpha 1 is the constrictor and dominates.
Thanks again Ok my textbook says both vasoconstricts, but I think that is a mistake since, when I look at other sources main actions of alpha 2 are.

1.Inhibition of norepinephrine release
2.Inhibition of insulin release
3. Decreases cAMP

It doesn't say vasodilation, but I think what u mean is since alpha 2 is on presynpatic nerves, it gives negative feedback for release of norepinephrine from post synapse causing negative feedback of vasoconstriction which is vasodilation. Am I correct?

Now my question is why is alpha 2 considered an adrenergic receptor, or a sympathetic system receptor, when it does all parasympathetic stuff. Shouldn't it be part of parasympathetic system.
mazinse
Sep20-12, 04:24 PM
I think adrenergic receptor just refers to its binding with epi and norepi.
M.Nabil
Aug27-13, 02:20 PM
P: 1
All alpha receptor are excitatory except alpha 2 receptor which is inhipitory:
As alpha 2 receptor has no direct effect on the receptor ( alpha 1) , but it affect on the neurotransemiter like epi nephrin and other ,
And so;
If you block alpha 2 by any alpha 2 blocker( like brimonidine ) it will release more epinephrine and norepi. which have excitatory effect on alpha 1 receptor which cause vasoconstriction if present on blood vessels....the epi. and norepi. released dont have any effect on alpha 2 receptor ( which is preganglionic) because it is blocked by the antagonist.
You can observe that alpha 2 receptor is only regulatory

I hope it become clear now
aroc91
Aug27-13, 03:11 PM
P: 159
In addition to inhibiting epi. and norepi., alpha 2 receptors also inhibit acetylcholine release.

Register to reply