by Phobos
Tags: genetic, relationships
Phobos
Dec28-04, 11:08 AM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 2,018
In Dawkin's book "The Selfish Gene", he discusses genetic relationships in family lines (e.g., your genetic similarity is 1/2 that of one of your parents, 1/4 of your grandparents, etc.). He mentioned that going back only a few generations, your genetic similarity to your family line is no different to than it is to the rest of the population.* At what point is that genetic similarity reached? In other words, what is my genetic similarity to the average human genome? In other other words, how many great-great-greats do I need to trace back before my ancestor is no different than a total stranger?

* Making extensive genealogy somewhat pointless?
Phys.Org News Partner Biology news on Phys.org
Humpback protections downgrade clears way for pipeline
Researchers discover the most effective animal signal strategies
Maine baby lobster decline could end high catches
matthyaouw
Dec28-04, 12:12 PM
PF Gold
P: 1,215
Thats a very good question. It could finally help us answer the age old problem- how distant must a relation be before I can sleep with her without it being immoral?
ryokan
Dec28-04, 01:48 PM
P: 269
Quote Quote by Phobos
In Dawkin's book "The Selfish Gene", he discusses genetic relationships in family lines (e.g., your genetic similarity is 1/2 that of one of your parents, 1/4 of your grandparents, etc.). He mentioned that going back only a few generations, your genetic similarity to your family line is no different to than it is to the rest of the population.* At what point is that genetic similarity reached? In other words, what is my genetic similarity to the average human genome? In other other words, how many great-great-greats do I need to trace back before my ancestor is no different than a total stranger?

* Making extensive genealogy somewhat pointless?
That remember the classic prize to the chess inventor (although with negative exponent). In this case there would be a dilutional effect of similarities growing exponentially with the number of generations going back. I don't know which is the % of allelic variation among human beings. Such knowledge could allow to calculate n. Are you in agreement?

Phobos
Dec29-04, 12:35 PM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 2,018

Genetic relationships

I’ll take a stab at answering my own question…

Seems that different DNA sequences have different frequencies in the human gene pool, so perhaps a general comparison for the whole genome may be a bit tricky. But I seem to recall hearing from the Human Genome project that the similarity in genes of nuclear DNA between any two people is about 99.9%. That’s a 1/1000th difference, which works out to about 10 generations (1/2 gene similarity to parents, to grandparents, 1/8 to great grandparents, etc.)

Sound about right? Or is that 99.9% comparison too simplistic?

10 generations is only about 200-400 years of history...so perhaps genealogy is not a lost cause after all. :)

matthyaouw - I'll leave the morality question to you. :) But my calculation assumes no imbreeding...which is probably a poor assumption given the historical tendency for people to marry their cousins.

ryokan - Sure. My calculation above for determining 'n' generations is 1/(2^n) = 1/1000...so, n is about 10.

Register to reply