Register to reply

Sulfate released from fossil fuels

by ASidd
Tags: fossil fuel
Share this thread:
ASidd
Nov7-12, 05:08 AM
P: 73
I am studying the environmental affects of sulfate (sorry should have written sulfate ion)
which is SO4
so If I write down acid rain which is essentially H2SO4 hydrogen+sulfate ion I won't get marked down would I? just checking because our teacher told us to be very specific and careful with what we write down.
ASidd
Nov7-12, 05:12 AM
P: 73
SO you need to make H2SO3 to lower pH to then make H2SO4 from that?
Borek
Nov7-12, 05:55 AM
Admin
P: 23,719
Quote Quote by ASidd View Post
I am studying the environmental affects of sulfate (sorry should have written sulfate ion)
which is SO4
SO42-

so If I write down acid rain which is essentially H2SO4 hydrogen+sulfate ion I won't get marked down would I? just checking because our teacher told us to be very specific and careful with what we write down.
And I am afraid what you wrote - "H2SO4 hydrogen+sulfate ion" - suggests you don't know the details of things you are writing about. I can only guess that you tried to list sulfuric acid and porducts of its dissociation.

Quote Quote by ASidd View Post
SO you need to make H2SO3 to lower pH to then make H2SO4 from that?
No, these things go at the same time. Part of SO2 gets dissolved and lowers pH, other part gets oxidized to SO3 and reacts with water creating sulfuric acid. But as the reaction between SO2 and water is easily reversible, some of the SO2 that initially acidified water can later leave the solution and get oxidized. There are several equilibria present.
chemisttree
Nov7-12, 12:35 PM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
PF Gold
P: 3,724
... and SO3 has been coming directly out of tailpipes for quite some time now. The automotive catalyst itself can oxidize SO2 to SO3 under lean burn conditions.

Register to reply