Discovered something: what to do, whom to tell?

by tris_d
Tags: discovered
tris_d
Nov8-12, 02:03 AM
P: 162
So I believe to have made some discovery, what now? I guess people will say to write a paper, but I don't have any credentials, will they take me seriously? And considering that, what would be some of the best places where to send it for a review?

I would also like to confirm my findings more rigorously first, and since I never published any papers I'd need some help on how to go about it. What do I do?
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Simplicity is key to co-operative robots
Chemical vapor deposition used to grow atomic layer materials on top of each other
Earliest ancestor of land herbivores discovered
Klungo
Nov8-12, 07:48 AM
P: 136
What exactly is the discovery in? Physics? Math? Disney world?

Feel free what to mention what your discovery covers. Say, if it is some calculus discovery on derivatives, or some number theory prime number thingy without explicitly revealing anything you're not comfortable doing so.
tris_d
Nov8-12, 09:33 AM
Quote Quote by Klungo View Post
What exactly is the discovery in? Physics? Math? Disney world?

Feel free what to mention what your discovery covers. Say, if it is some calculus discovery on derivatives, or some number theory prime number thingy without explicitly revealing anything you're not comfortable doing so.
It's about Olbers' paradox: "why is the night sky dark?". I spoke before with some people working in Astronomy/Cosmology field and they are not receptive to consider it as they seem to think it would contradict mainstream theory.

I posted about it in Astronomy forum, but for the above reason I was very brief as I am afraid people would think I am arguing against mainstream. I'd be happy to tell you all about it, and I don't care if I am right or wrong, I just wanna know for certain.

ZapperZ
Nov8-12, 11:19 AM
Mentor
P: 28,784

Discovered something: what to do, whom to tell?

Unfortunately, unless you can find some who is willing to look at what you did, this cannot be discussed in this forum, per the PF rules that you had agreed to.

Zz.
tris_d
Nov8-12, 11:47 AM
Quote Quote by ZapperZ View Post
Unfortunately, unless you can find some who is willing to look at what you did, this cannot be discussed in this forum, per the PF rules that you had agreed to.

Zz.
Yes, I understand that. The thing is I don't have any new theory nor I make any assumptions to arrive at my conclusion, and I do not think it actually contradicts anything. I think inverse square law explains the paradox if we only include sensor surface area in the treatment and model light as photons. That's all. Just another, more complete, way to look at it.

Does that sound like something we could discuss here?
ZapperZ
Nov8-12, 12:46 PM
Mentor
P: 28,784
Quote Quote by tris_d View Post
Yes, I understand that. The thing is I don't have any new theory nor I make any assumptions to arrive at my conclusion, and I do not think it actually contradicts anything. I think inverse square law explains the paradox if we only include sensor surface area in the treatment and model light as photons. That's all. Just another, more complete, way to look at it.

Does that sound like something we could discuss here?
No.

Zz.
D H
Nov8-12, 12:51 PM
Mentor
P: 14,433
Quote Quote by ZapperZ View Post
No.
That's as good a place as any to close this thread.

Thread closed.
Vanadium 50
Nov8-12, 12:51 PM
Mentor
P: 15,570
And you already have one thread open on this.

And it's not career guidance.

Register to reply