Asking for advice about filing for a patent on a new device

hagopbul
Hello All :

i uploaded some threads here asking about patent on engine modification , as i looked more in the discoveries , found out that it is already , discovered , but came up with another system to improve the energy efficiency (theoretical , experiment and a make shift prototype ) , now if i get some sort of patent what should i do to get funding to start producing or how to create a start up and then sell it, all this was to create enough funds so i can work on other scientific projects

how much time do you think it will take , considering the patent application with it ?
what is the appropriate methods to be able to get funds for start up ?
time for getting the other paper work ?
what is the best methods to sell a start up ?
what about banks do they support start ups ? is it considered loans , or grants ?

if i dont want to start a small company now (start-up) can i apply to a grant , although i am not student in a universities ?
is there a type of grants where it is an international in nature and will allow international applicant ?

i am living in Beirut Lebanon currently

do any one here was able to change a scientific work he has done to a start up

should i publish a peer review paper ?

Best Regards
HB

Engineering news on Phys.org
Patents are only "hunting licenses;" you'll need a "stable" of lawyers to enforce one.

Likes russ_watters, hagopbul and Vanadium 50
hagopbul said:
... patent on engine modification , as i looked more in the discoveries ,..., but came up with another system to improve the energy efficiency (theoretical , experiment and a make shift prototype ) , ..., all this was to create enough funds so i can work on other scientific projects
I assume you are referring to internal combustion engines? If so, this is a dying market. Most manufacturers have reduced or eliminated funding for engine development. Even if your modification works as well as you think it does, there is a LOT of development work to make it durable, reliable, cost effective, and practical to manufacture. To get an idea of the time scales, this company has been working on their engine for 27 years, and just this year have a saleable product: https://www.deltahawk.com/company/. This company has been working on their engine for 15 years, and are still trying to sell prototype engines: https://www.liquidpiston.com/.

You can apply for a patent, and try to license that patent to an engine manufacturer. You will need a running prototype of approximately the size of your target market engines, and data from an independent testing laboratory that shows it to be significantly more efficient that any engine currently being sold. And supporting data that shows that manufacturing cost, durability, and reliability will be at least as good as existing engines.

In order to sell your idea, or get financing to develop it, you do need a patent. Most of my US patents took 2 to 4 years to issue after application. I have a number of European patents, I think that those took about the same amount of time. I believe that a typical machinery patent costs USD $10,000 to $100,000. An engine patent will be on the expensive end of that range because of the large amount of prior art. A patent attorney told me that any person taking a patent infringement case to court should budget USD $1,000,000. This was in a conversation about one of my patents that was infringed on twice by two different companies. We were lucky because both of those companies stopped after we sent them "cease and desist" letters.

If you want funds to work on other scientific projects, your best option is to start as a graduate student on a funded research project. Get a Ph.D., then a research position. Then you will be paid to work on scientific projects.

Likes russ_watters, hagopbul, berkeman and 1 other person
jrmichler said:
Most manufacturers have reduced or eliminated funding for engine development.
Cummins is going great guns, and poaching a lot of good people. But these are not engines like you have in your car. Think combines and power plants.

Likes hagopbul
Vanadium 50 said:
Cummins is going great guns, and poaching a lot of good people.
And so they are, in their Accelera division: https://www.cummins.com/news/releas...mins-advance-transition-zero-emissions-future. A quote from that site:

Accelera is advancing a range of zero-emissions solutions, including hydrogen fuel cells, batteries, e-axles, traction systems and electrolyzers, to sustainably power a variety of industries from commercial transportation to chemical production. Both a components supplier and integrator, Accelera is decarbonizing applications like buses, trucks, trains, construction equipment, stationary power and carbon intense industrial processes.

With large companies such as Freightliner and Volvo already shipping electric semi trucks, the market for diesel engines smaller than about 500 hp will start to shrink. The market for large, over 1000 hp, diesel engines will be strong for some time yet.

Likes hagopbul and berkeman
Thanks jrmichler , but I wasn't talking about engine modification, I started looking in engine modification then after research created something that energy efficient in another field ,maybe the misunderstanding resulted from my English language

hagopbul said:
Thanks jrmichler , but I wasn't talking about engine modification, I started looking in engine modification then after research created something that energy efficient in another field
What field?

Likes hagopbul
I remember @jim hardy telling me once that after he filed for a patent (see if interested), it was such a hassle that if he had known, he would never had done it.

Likes hagopbul
Please use punctuation and standard English syntax.
Be aware that most patents (between 70% and 98%, depending on what’s being measured) are not only not renewed, but their maintenance fees aren’t even paid—the patents are allowed to lapse prematurely—indicating that they aren’t generating value for the inventor. There are many papers discussing this, for example,
https://www.forbes.com/sites/stephe...arket-do-patents-even-matter/?sh=3ec7a2256f37
You might be one of the successful ones, but think carefully before you jump.

Likes hagopbul
Bystander said:
Patents are only "hunting licenses;" you'll need a "stable" of lawyers to enforce one.
Is this means that science advancement in problem(in the United States) because the incentives of patents is just not working well ?

russ_watters said:
What field?
More consumer oriented, not fancy like improving ICEs

A patent is a license to sue. If someone infringes, you still need to drag them to court to make them pay. Furthermore, whether an action infringes or not is seldom cut and dried. For example, it is likely similar to but not identical to what is in the patent.

As mentioned earlier, enforcing a patent is expensive.

hagopbul said:
Is this means that science advancement in problem(in the United States) because the incentives of patents is just not working well ?
"Allegation of infringement" does NOT equal "finding of infringement;" nor, does it equal "enforcement" of said finding. "The incentives of patents" ARE working quite well, just not for whom you have assumed.

What is the first step in filing a patent for a new device?

The first step in filing a patent for a new device is to conduct a thorough patent search. This search helps to ensure that your invention is indeed new and not already patented or publicly disclosed. After confirming the novelty of your invention, you can proceed to draft a patent application, which typically includes a detailed description of the invention, claims that define the legal boundaries of the patent protection, drawings (if applicable), and an abstract.

How do I determine if my new device is patentable?

To determine if your device is patentable, it must meet three key criteria: novelty, non-obviousness, and utility. Novelty means that the device must be entirely new. Non-obviousness implies that the invention should not be an obvious development to someone with knowledge and experience in the field. Utility requires that the device is useful. Consulting with a patent attorney can provide guidance and help assess the patentability of your invention.

What are the costs associated with filing a patent?

The costs of filing a patent can vary widely depending on the complexity of the invention, the type of patent application, and geographical coverage. Generally, costs include the patent office filing fees, patent search fees, attorney fees, and possibly maintenance fees to keep the patent active. It's advisable to prepare for a significant investment, which can range from a few thousand to several tens of thousands of dollars.

Should I hire a patent attorney, or can I file the patent myself?

While it is possible to file a patent application by yourself (a process known as filing pro se), hiring a patent attorney is highly recommended, especially if your invention is complex. A qualified patent attorney can help navigate the legal and technical requirements of the patent application, potentially saving you from costly mistakes. The expertise of a patent attorney can be invaluable in drafting your application effectively and responding to any office actions from the patent office.

How long does it take to get a patent approved?

The time it takes to get a patent approved can vary significantly based on the jurisdiction, the field of the invention, and the workload of the patent office. In the United States, for example, it typically takes about 24 to 36 months to receive a patent from the date of filing the application. However, there are options to expedite the process for an additional fee if a quicker resolution is needed.