Differential equations proof

by th3chemist
Tags: differential, equations, proof
Share this thread:
th3chemist
Nov8-12, 09:50 AM
P: 66
1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
Show that Acos(ωt) + Bsin(ωt) can be written in the form r*sin(ωt - θ). Determine r and θ in terms of A and B. If Rcos(ωt - ε) = r*sin(ωt - θ), deermine the relationship among R, r, ε and θ.

2. Relevant equations

Trig identities.

3. The attempt at a solution

I'm really confused on this question. What I first tried to do is to use the sum-difference forumla on r*sin(ωt - θ) = r*sin(ωt)cos(θ) - r*cos(ωt)sin(θ).
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
World's largest solar boat on Greek prehistoric mission
Google searches hold key to future market crashes
Mineral magic? Common mineral capable of making and breaking bonds
LCKurtz
Nov8-12, 11:57 AM
HW Helper
Thanks
PF Gold
P: 7,575
Quote Quote by th3chemist View Post
1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
Show that Acos(ωt) + Bsin(ωt) can be written in the form r*sin(ωt - θ). Determine r and θ in terms of A and B. If Rcos(ωt - ε) = r*sin(ωt - θ), deermine the relationship among R, r, ε and θ.

2. Relevant equations

Trig identities.

3. The attempt at a solution

I'm really confused on this question. What I first tried to do is to use the sum-difference forumla on r*sin(ωt - θ) = r*sin(ωt)cos(θ) - r*cos(ωt)sin(θ).
Start by writing your expression like this$$
\sqrt{A^2+B^2}\left( \frac A {\sqrt{A^2+B^2}}\cos(\omega t)+ \frac B {\sqrt{A^2+B^2}}
\sin(\omega t) \right)$$That quantity in the large parentheses looks like an addition formula. Think about a right triangle with legs ##A## and ##B##.
th3chemist
Nov8-12, 12:04 PM
Is that from the Pythagorean theorem?
I'm still unsure how to set this problem up :(

LCKurtz
Nov8-12, 12:09 PM
HW Helper
Thanks
PF Gold
Differential equations proof

Is that from the Pythagorean theorem?
I'm still unsure how to set this problem up :(
Did you draw the triangle I suggested? Do those fractions look like sines and cosines of some angle? Can you make the expression in large parentheses look like an addition formula?
th3chemist
Nov8-12, 12:14 PM
It would be cos(theta) and sin(theta)
LCKurtz
Nov8-12, 12:37 PM
HW Helper
Thanks
PF Gold
It would be cos(theta) and sin(theta)
So.......?
th3chemist
Nov8-12, 12:41 PM
Quote Quote by LCKurtz View Post
So.......?
If I use the sum-difference identity I would get cosine term not the sine :(
LCKurtz
Nov8-12, 12:59 PM
HW Helper
Thanks
PF Gold
Isn't ##\displaystyle{\frac A {\sqrt{A^2+B^2}}}## the cosine of some angle in your triangle?
th3chemist
Nov8-12, 01:09 PM
Isn't ##\displaystyle{\frac A {\sqrt{A^2+B^2}}}## the cosine of some angle in your triangle?
yeah so you get cos(θ)cos(ωt) + sin(θ)(sin(ωt))
LCKurtz
Nov8-12, 01:36 PM
HW Helper
Thanks
PF Gold
yeah so you get cos(θ)cos(ωt) + sin(θ)(sin(ωt))
This gives you the form ##r\cos(\omega t -\theta)## (don't forget there is that square root out front). Now getting it in a sine form is what I think last sentence in your problem is about.
th3chemist
Nov8-12, 01:46 PM
This gives you the form ##r\cos(\omega t -\theta)## (don't forget there is that square root out front). Now getting it in a sine form is what I think last sentence in your problem is about.
But I did not show the first part. I'm quite sure though that if you have rcos(θ) and rsin(θ) they're constants.
th3chemist
Nov8-12, 01:59 PM
Here is something else I did. I got r*sin(wt)cos(theta) - r*cos(wt)sin(theta)
Then I set rewrote as r*cos(theta) + (-rsin(theta)cos(wt)

I can then get A = r*cos(theta) and B = (-r*sin(theta))
LCKurtz
Nov8-12, 02:45 PM
HW Helper
Thanks
PF Gold
But I did not show the first part.
Haven't we shown$$
A\cos(\omega t)+B\sin(\omega t) = \sqrt{A^2+B^2}\left( \frac A {\sqrt{A^2+B^2}}\cos(\omega t)+ \frac B {\sqrt{A^2+B^2}}
\sin(\omega t) \right) = \sqrt{A^2+B^2}(\cos\theta\cos\omega t + \sin\theta \sin(\omega t) = \sqrt{A^2+B^2}\cos(\omega t - \theta)$$To get it to a sine function I think you have to work the last sentence in the original problem.
th3chemist
Nov8-12, 03:39 PM
Haven't we shown$$
A\cos(\omega t)+B\sin(\omega t) = \sqrt{A^2+B^2}\left( \frac A {\sqrt{A^2+B^2}}\cos(\omega t)+ \frac B {\sqrt{A^2+B^2}}
\sin(\omega t) \right) = \sqrt{A^2+B^2}(\cos\theta\cos\omega t + \sin\theta \sin(\omega t) = \sqrt{A^2+B^2}\cos(\omega t - \theta)$$To get it to a sine function I think you have to work the last sentence in the original problem.
What can I do though? Use the identity on both sides? The first line states to write it in the sin form. We did it in cos :(.
LCKurtz
Nov8-12, 06:03 PM
HW Helper
Thanks
PF Gold
Haven't we shown$$
What can I do though? Use the identity on both sides? The first line states to write it in the sin form. We did it in cos :(.
Yes, we have the cosine. Did you read my previous post, copied above? That is part of your problem, to figure out how to change the cosine to a sine. I have helped you with half of your problem. Now you work on finishing it.
th3chemist
Nov8-12, 06:34 PM
Is A = r*cos(theta) and B = (-r*sin(theta)) correct for the first part then? To get theta and r in terms of A and B?
th3chemist
Nov8-12, 07:38 PM
Hold on, I have a question. How can you assume that will give you cosine instead of sine? If I switch, A and B I would get sine.
LCKurtz
Nov8-12, 08:16 PM
HW Helper
Thanks
PF Gold
Is A = r*cos(theta) and B = (-r*sin(theta)) correct for the first part then? To get theta and r in terms of A and B?
You have A and B in terms of r and theta. You want r and theta in terms of A and B.

Register to reply