Can I determine the phase angle of this equation by using the sin function?

In summary: Always in radians for SHM.This might be a dumb question but I have to calculate in radians mode in the calculator right to find x?
nuclearfireball_42
Homework Statement
The graph of displacement vs time for a small mass m at the end of a spring is shown in Fig. 14-30. At t = 0, x = 0.43 cm.
(a) If m = 9.5 g, find the spring constant, k.
(b) Write the equation for displacement x as a function of time.
Relevant Equations
x(t) = Asin(ωt + φ)

x(t) = Acos(ωt - φ)
I've got the answer for (a). It's k = 0.78 N/m.

I'm having problems with (b). I know that the equation of displacement in this case should either be :

x(t) = Asin(ωt + φ)

or

x(t) = Acos(ωt - φ)

where A = amplitudeFrom what I understand, both the equation above should give the same result as the sine and cosine functions are the reason for the different signs before the phase angle. But the author of the book wrote the second equation (the one with the cos function) to be the answer. Thinking that my answer which is in the form of the first equation could just be an alternative of the second, I checked the result of the functions numerically and I found them to be different . Is it something to do with my calculation or is my understanding just wrong?

The picture of the graph :

graph.png

Physics news on Phys.org
Your understanding is correct, so you must have made a mistake in the calculations. Note that:
$$\sin(x + \frac {\pi}{2}) = \cos(x)$$
Hence, any sine or cosine function can always be written either way with a different phase.

PeroK said:
Your understanding is correct, so you must have made a mistake in the calculations. Note that:
$$\sin(x + \frac {\pi}{2}) = \cos(x)$$
Hence, any sine or cosine function can always be written either way with a different phase.
This might be a dumb question but I have to calculate in radians mode in the calculator right to find x?

nuclearfireball_42 said:
This might be a dumb question but I have to calculate in radians mode in the calculator right to find x?

Always in radians for SHM.

Likes nuclearfireball_42
nuclearfireball_42 said:
In solving the SHM differential equation, use is made of the standard equations ##\frac{d\sin(x)}{dx}=\cos(x)## etc. Those equations are only valid in radians. If working in degrees you would have to include a constant factor.

... both equations should give the same result, as the sine and cosine functions are the reason for the different signs before the phase angle. ... author of the book wrote the second equation (the one with the cos function) to be the answer. Thinking that my answer which is in the form of the first equation could just be an alternative of the second, I checked the result of the functions numerically and I found them to be different . Is it something to do with my calculation...
If you show your calculations, we might be able to tell.
When you use sin instead of cos, the magnitude of the phase will usually change, not just the sign.

1. Can the sin function be used to determine the phase angle of any equation?

No, the sin function can only be used to determine the phase angle of sinusoidal equations, where the variable is an angle.

2. How do I use the sin function to determine the phase angle?

To determine the phase angle, you can use the inverse sine function (sin^-1) on the coefficient of the sinusoidal term in the equation. This will give you the phase angle in radians.

3. Can I use the sin function to determine the phase angle of a non-sinusoidal equation?

No, the sin function is only applicable to sinusoidal equations. For non-sinusoidal equations, you may need to use other methods such as graphing or solving for the roots.

4. Is the phase angle the same as the phase shift in an equation?

No, the phase angle and phase shift are different concepts. The phase angle is the measure of the angle between the original and shifted wave, while the phase shift is the amount by which the wave is shifted horizontally.

5. Can I determine the phase angle of an equation without using the sin function?

Yes, there are other methods for determining the phase angle, such as using the cosine function or solving for the angle using trigonometric identities. However, the sin function is the most commonly used method for determining the phase angle of a sinusoidal equation.