Register to reply

(?) on fixing bootmgr is compressed

by slee95
Tags: bootmgr, compressed, fixing
Share this thread:
slee95
Nov1-12, 06:13 PM
P: 132
I accidentally somehow compressed something on my computer and am getting this message "bootmgr is compressed". I think I did it when i was compressing stuff on my hard to conserve space. How do i fix it?
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Security CTO to detail Android Fake ID flaw at Black Hat
Huge waves measured for first time in Arctic Ocean
Mysterious molecules in space
slee95
Nov1-12, 06:25 PM
Is there a way to go into to my operating system to fix bootmgr is compressed?
rcgldr
Nov2-12, 12:46 PM
HW Helper
P: 7,046
I did a web search for "recover bootmgr". This was one of the hits:

http://www.ehow.com/how_8435342_recover-bootmgr.html

If this doesn't work for you, try doing the same web search for "recover bootmgr" to look for alternate methods.

slee95
Nov2-12, 12:57 PM
(?) on fixing bootmgr is compressed

k thanks i'll try it.
r4z0r84
Nov5-12, 05:04 AM
P: 92
try http://neosmart.net/EasyBCD/

EasyBCD has helped me recover old installations of windows that either randomly disappear from readwrite errors or remove themselves when installing a new OS the program recently helped me when i upgraded the firmware of my new SSD as it went to an old boot loader. this is by far my choice when fiddling with the bood loader in windows 7 as i can no longer edit a batch bootloader.ini file like in windows xp
slee95
Nov7-12, 04:32 PM
r4z0r84 You have solid state? How much did it cost and how well does it perform?
rcgldr
Nov7-12, 07:25 PM
HW Helper
Quote Quote by r4z0r84 View Post
easy bcd ... this is by far my choice when fiddling with the bood loader in windows 7 as i can no longer edit a batch bootloader.ini file like in windows xp
Other than the beta versions of Windows 7, you can still right click on my computer, properties, advanced, and still select some of the bootmgr parameters, such as which os to boot into by default (and the time to wait) on a multi-boot system, but this wouldn't fix a broken bootmgr problem.
slee95
Nov8-12, 04:19 PM
damn well mom took it to work for the tech support guys to look at since it was a lab top/ tablet it has no cd driver so i'm waiting from someone from moms tech support to bring in a portable cd drive :(
rcgldr
Nov8-12, 05:19 PM
HW Helper
There's probably a hidden "recovery" partition on your hard drive. To access it, you usually need to press some function key, like F8, F9, F10, ... and perhaps shift, ctrl, or alt, during a reboot of your laptop. This will boot up your lap top into "recovery" mode. If you have a manual it should specify which key combination you need to press to get into "recovery" mode.

You need to be careful at this point. One common "recovery" option is to restore your laptop back to it's "original factory condition", which would mean all files and programs you added to the laptop would be lost. Don't choose this option.

What you're hoping for is that the "recovery" mode includes the normal Windows 7 recovery mode (or whatever OS you're running) or something similar, which should let you fix or recreate a new bootmgr without modifying anything else on the hard drive.

The tech guys that are trying to fix your laptop are probably already aware of this.
slee95
Nov9-12, 03:20 PM
it had vista then changed to xp i think and changed it to windows 7 ultimate the brand is hp.
rcgldr
Nov9-12, 06:08 PM
HW Helper
Quote Quote by slee95 View Post
it had vista then changed to xp i think and changed it to windows 7 ultimate the brand is hp.
How did you change it to Windows 7 without a cd driver?

For an HP system, press F11 during a reboot to get into recovery manager (I'm assuming this doesn't require a working bootmgr). I don't know of HP's recovery manager will let you just restore bootmgr. What you don't want to do is restore to factory condition, which would delete all your files and programs.
slee95
Nov9-12, 07:35 PM
k thank you i took it to a friend and he had a friend that had a external to use to load 7 but i thought it would be quicker having one of the the tech guys look at it at moms work that was a mistake they take forever :(
slee95
Nov10-12, 01:17 PM
Ok during setup i get f9 boot device menu, f10 based setup, f12 network net work service boot.
slee95
Nov10-12, 01:36 PM
do need the specs of the lab top? hp compact 2710p energy star
rcgldr
Nov10-12, 01:37 PM
HW Helper
Ok during setup i get f9 boot device menu, f10 based setup, f12 network net work service boot.
Use F9 in order to boot from the external cd/dvd drive you borrowed. You didn't explain how you upgraded your system to Windows 7, did you use an external cd/dvd drive back then also?
slee95
Nov10-12, 02:44 PM
no a freind had the windows 7 disk and a friend of my friend had the external cd drive.
slee95
Nov10-12, 02:45 PM
can i connect it to my working computer and transfer the files i need?
rcgldr
Nov10-12, 04:46 PM
HW Helper
can i connect it to my working computer and transfer the files i need?
You're laptop needs to be running in order to transfer files from it's hard drive. Windows 7 cd/dvd should have an option to just repair the bootmgr.

Go to this web page, scroll down to Bootrec.exe options, then click on Click here to show/hide more information. You probably want to run Bootrec.exe /fixboot to fix bootmgr, but I'm not sure:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/927392#method1

If that doesn't work you can try system repair as described here:

bootmgr_fix.htm

Register to reply