Register to reply

Divergence of a sequence

by Bipolarity
Tags: divergence, sequence
Share this thread:
Bipolarity
Nov8-12, 06:26 PM
P: 783
I'm trying to understand divergence of a sequence (not series). What methods can I use to prove divergence? I know that convergence can be proven using various methods, such as squeeze theorem and sum, difference, product and quotient rule etc.

Could I use the following to prove divergence?

If [itex] a_{n} [/itex] is a sequence of real numbers, [itex] f(n) = a_{n} [/itex] and [itex] \lim_{n→∞} f(n) [/itex] does not exist, but is not equal to ∞ or -∞, does [itex] a_{n} [/itex] necessarily diverge?

If [itex] a_{n} [/itex] is a sequence of real numbers, [itex] f(n) = a_{n} [/itex] and [itex] \lim_{n→∞} f(n) = ∞ [/itex], does [itex] a_{n} [/itex] necessarily diverge?

These two ideas will greatly facilitate my understanding of sequence divergence.
Thanks!

BiP
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Study links polar vortex chills to melting sea ice
Lab unveil new nano-sized synthetic scaffolding technique
Cool calculations for cold atoms: New theory of universal three-body encounters
micromass
Nov8-12, 06:40 PM
Mentor
P: 18,334
Yes to both questions.
Bipolarity
Nov8-12, 08:24 PM
Quote Quote by micromass View Post
Yes to both questions.
Hey micro, but what about the sequence [itex] a_{n} = sin(2πn) [/itex]. It is the case that
[itex] \lim_{n→∞}f(n) [/itex] does not exist, yet the limit of [itex]a_{n}[/itex] converges to 0, right??

BiP

micromass
Nov8-12, 08:36 PM
Mentor
P: 18,334
Divergence of a sequence

The limit [itex]\lim_{n\rightarrow +\infty} f(n)[/itex] does exist and is zero. (I assume that n is always an integer)

However, if you extend f to [itex]f(x)=\sin(2\pi x)[/itex] for [itex]x\in\mathbb{R}[/itex], then the limit [itex]\lim_{x\rightarrow +\infty} f(x)[/itex] doesn't exist.
pwsnafu
Nov8-12, 08:37 PM
Sci Advisor
P: 834
Quote Quote by Bipolarity View Post
[itex] \lim_{n→∞}f(n) [/itex] does not exist
Why do you say that?

Edit: ninjaed
Bipolarity
Nov8-12, 10:14 PM
Quote Quote by micromass View Post
The limit [itex]\lim_{n\rightarrow +\infty} f(n)[/itex] does exist and is zero. (I assume that n is always an integer)

However, if you extend f to [itex]f(x)=\sin(2\pi x)[/itex] for [itex]x\in\mathbb{R}[/itex], then the limit [itex]\lim_{x\rightarrow +\infty} f(x)[/itex] doesn't exist.
micromass, I'm sorry I think I misphrased my question. When I refer to f(n) in my original post, I refer to it as a function with domain ℝ as opposed to [itex]a_{n}[/itex] which I take to be defined only for natural numbers.

Given this clarification, which of the following original statements is true and why?

BiP

Register to reply