Converge or Diverge? Proving I & II Limits

• MHB
  • Thread starter Umar
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses finding the right answer for a question regarding the convergence or divergence of a series. The correct answer is F, and it was obtained by eliminating other options and analyzing the numerators and denominators. The method used to prove the convergence or divergence of the options I and II was through rewriting the fractions in a way that makes it clear whether they converge or not. Option I is proven to converge, while option II diverges. The conversation also includes a link to a visual representation of the question.
Umar
So I have this question here from one of my assignments. I got the right answer, which is F, but I got it through eliminating other options (cos(n\pi)) diverges while sin(n\pi) obviously converges. I was thinking the only option would be IV, but the options for the answers included I and IV, or II and IV. The thing is I'm not sure how you would prove either of those to be convergent or divergent. For instance, in both of the numerators, there is (-1)^(n+1). This gives you [1,-1,1,-1...] meaning it's limit D.N.E (does not exist). The denominators are similar but different slightly. So how exactly would you go about showing that option I converges and II diverges (ie. lim as n --> infinity of those sequences)

Your help is greatly appreciated! :)

Attached is the link to the picture of the question:

Imgur: The most awesome images on the Internet

View attachment 6354

Attachments

• zlOZFCO.jpg
    zlOZFCO.jpg
    28.4 KB · Views: 62
Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Umar said:
So I have this question here from one of my assignments. I got the right answer, which is F, but I got it through eliminating other options (cos(n\pi)) diverges while sin(n\pi) obviously converges. I was thinking the only option would be IV, but the options for the answers included I and IV, or II and IV. The thing is I'm not sure how you would prove either of those to be convergent or divergent. For instance, in both of the numerators, there is (-1)^(n+1). This gives you [1,-1,1,-1...] meaning it's limit D.N.E (does not exist). The denominators are similar but different slightly. So how exactly would you go about showing that option I converges and II diverges (ie. lim as n --> infinity of those sequences)

Your help is greatly appreciated! :)

Attached is the link to the picture of the question:

Imgur: The most awesome images on the Internet

Hi Umar! ;)

Typically we try to rewrite a fraction so that it becomes clear whether it converges or not.

For (i):
$$a_n = \frac{(-1)^{n+1}n}{n^2+4} = \frac{(-1)^{n+1}}{n+\frac 4 n} \to \frac{\pm 1}{\infty + 4\cdot 0} = 0$$
So $a_n$ converges.

For (ii):
$$a_n = \frac{(-1)^{n+1}n^2}{n^2-7} = \frac{(-1)^{n+1}}{1-\frac 7 {n^2}} \to \frac{\pm 1}{1 - 7\cdot 0} = \pm 1$$
So $a_n$ diverges.

I like Serena said:
Hi Umar! ;)

Typically we try to rewrite a fraction so that it becomes clear whether it converges or not.

For (i):
$$a_n = \frac{(-1)^{n+1}n}{n^2+4} = \frac{(-1)^{n+1}}{n+\frac 4 n} \to \frac{\pm 1}{\infty + 4\cdot 0} = 0$$
So $a_n$ converges.

For (ii):
$$a_n = \frac{(-1)^{n+1}n^2}{n^2-7} = \frac{(-1)^{n+1}}{1-\frac 7 {n^2}} \to \frac{\pm 1}{1 - 7\cdot 0} = \pm 1$$
So $a_n$ diverges.

Hey! Sorry for not replying earlier but thank you so much for your help!

1. What is the definition of convergence and divergence in limits?

Convergence in limits refers to the behavior of a sequence or function as its input approaches a certain value. It means that the values of the sequence or function get closer and closer to a specific number. Divergence, on the other hand, means that the values of the sequence or function do not approach a specific number and may instead get infinitely large or small.

2. How do you prove convergence or divergence of a limit?

To prove convergence or divergence of a limit, you can use various methods such as the squeeze theorem, the limit comparison test, or the ratio test. These methods involve manipulating the given sequence or function and comparing it to a known convergent or divergent sequence or function. If the two are equivalent, then the given limit is also convergent or divergent.

3. What is the importance of proving convergence or divergence of a limit?

Proving convergence or divergence of a limit is important because it helps us understand the behavior of a sequence or function as its input approaches a certain value. This information is crucial in many fields of science and mathematics, such as calculus, physics, and engineering, as it allows us to make predictions and solve problems involving limits.

4. Can a limit be both convergent and divergent?

No, a limit cannot be both convergent and divergent. This is because convergence and divergence are opposite behaviors and cannot occur simultaneously. A limit can either approach a specific number (convergent) or not approach a specific number (divergent).

5. What is the difference between proving convergence and proving divergence?

Proving convergence involves showing that the values of a sequence or function approach a specific number, while proving divergence involves showing that the values of a sequence or function do not approach a specific number and may instead get infinitely large or small. In essence, proving convergence is about showing a limit exists, while proving divergence is about showing a limit does not exist.