Derivative of a Convolution

by Shaybay92
Tags: convolution, derivative
Share this thread:
Shaybay92
Sep2-12, 01:17 AM
P: 122
Hi,

I want to verify that the form of a particular solution satisfies the following ODE:

v' + (b/m)v = u/m

with

vpart= ∫e-(b/m)(t-r) (u(r)/m) dr

where the limits are from 0 to t

So I tried to differentiate v with respect to t, in order to substitute it back into the equation. But, how do you do that when the integral is with respect to r? Is there a need to change variables? How can you do this?

Cheers
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Hoverbike drone project for air transport takes off
Earlier Stone Age artifacts found in Northern Cape of South Africa
Study reveals new characteristics of complex oxide surfaces
haruspex
Sep2-12, 07:16 PM
Homework
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
Thanks ∞
P: 9,645
Quote Quote by Shaybay92 View Post
Hi,

I want to verify that the form of a particular solution satisfies the following ODE:

v' + (b/m)v = u/m

with

vpart= ∫e-(b/m)(t-r) (u(r)/m) dr

where the limits are from 0 to t. So I tried to differentiate v with respect to t,... How can you do this?
v(t) = ∫tf(t, r).dr
v(t+δt)= ∫t+δtf(t+δt, r).dr
= ∫tf(t+δt, r).dr + ∫tt+δtf(t+δt, r).dr
So v' = ∫t(d/dt)f(t, r).dr + f(t, t)
Shaybay92
Nov8-12, 04:43 PM
Sorry I'm not familiar with your method. I don't understand why you substitute "t+δt" for t. What approach are you using here? Could you elaborate or direct me to some further reading?

Cheers :)

haruspex
Nov8-12, 06:50 PM
Homework
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
Thanks ∞
P: 9,645
Derivative of a Convolution

Quote Quote by Shaybay92 View Post
Sorry I'm not familiar with your method. I don't understand why you substitute "t+δt" for t. What approach are you using here? Could you elaborate or direct me to some further reading?

Cheers :)
The equation you posted for v(t) is generic - i.e. it's true for all t. So it's true both for a given t and for a later time t+δt. So you can write a second equation substituting t+δt for t consistently. Taking the difference, diving by δt, then letting δt tend to zero gives you v'. That is the standard process of differentiation.
Shaybay92
Nov8-12, 06:54 PM
Oh I see what you mean. Thanks for the clarification. I'm just not use to this notation :)

Register to reply