Solve the Partial differential equation ##U_{xy}=0##

In summary: This is a common notational convention in mathematics.In summary, the conversation discusses integrating the equation ##U_{xy}=0## with respect to y and x, leading to the conclusion that the solution is of the form ##U(x,y)=F(x)+G(y)##. The conversation also clarifies the use of notation in partial derivative equations.
chwala
Gold Member
TL;DR Summary
I am going through these notes; i want to check that i am gettting it right...

Solve the pde;

##U_{xy}=0##
This is part of the notes;

1670243380258.png

My own way of thought;

Given;

##U_{xy}=0##

then considering ##U_x## as on ode in the ##y## variable; we integrate both sides with respect to ##y## i.e

##\dfrac{du}{dx} \int \dfrac{1}{dy} dy=\int 0 dy##

this is the part i need insight...the original problem involves partial derivatives but in this case when we integrate with respect to ##y## we are integrating with respect to ##dy## and not ##∂y## ...correct?

##U_x= 0 + k##, where ##k## is a constant in terms of ##x## therefore,

##U_x= f(x)##, an arbitrary function of ##x##... which is an ode for ##u## in the ##x## variable. On integrating again with respect to ##x## we get,##U(x,y) = F(x) + k##, where ##k## is a constant in terms of ##y## therefore,

##U(x,y) = F(x) + H(y)##cheers!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I interpret you as follows.
[tex]\frac{\partial^2 U(x,y)}{\partial x \partial y}=0[/tex]
Integration by y with x=const. or by x with y=const.
[tex]\frac{\partial U}{\partial x }=f(x)[/tex]
[tex]\frac{\partial U}{\partial y }=g(y)[/tex]
Thus
[tex]dU=f(x)dx+g(y)dy[/tex]
[tex]U(x,y)=F(x)+G(y)[/tex]

Last edited:
Likes chwala
anuttarasammyak said:
I interpret you as follows.
[tex]\frac{\partial^2 U(x,y)}{\partial x \partial y}=0[/tex]
Integration by y with x=const. or by x with y=const.
[tex]\frac{\partial U}{\partial x }=f(x)[/tex]
[tex]\frac{\partial U}{\partial y }=g(y)[/tex]
Thus
[tex]dU=f(x)dx+g(y)dy[/tex]
[tex]U(x,y)=F(x)+G(y)[/tex]
Is there another way bro? ...they call it method of characteristic ...need to read on this...

chwala said:
Given;
##U_{xy}=0##

then considering ##U_x## as on ode in the ##y## variable; we integrate both sides with respect to ##y## i.e

##\dfrac{du}{dx} \int \dfrac{1}{dy} dy=\int 0 dy##
The above doesn't make any sense to me. Clearly the last integral would be 0 + a constant.
chwala said:
this is the part i need insight...the original problem involves partial derivatives but in this case when we integrate with respect to ##y## we are integrating with respect to ##dy## and not ##∂y## ...correct?
The expression ##dy## serves only to indicate the variable with respect to which integration is taking place. You are integrating with respect to y, not dy, and definitely not with respect to ∂y.

Likes chwala

1. What is a partial differential equation?

A partial differential equation (PDE) is a mathematical equation that involves multiple independent variables and their partial derivatives. It is used to describe the relationship between a function and its derivatives in multiple dimensions.

2. What does the equation ##U_{xy}=0## mean?

The equation ##U_{xy}=0## means that the partial derivative of the function U with respect to x and y is equal to zero. This indicates that the function U is independent of both x and y, and is therefore a solution to the PDE.

3. How do you solve a partial differential equation?

The process of solving a PDE involves finding a function that satisfies the equation by manipulating the equation using various mathematical techniques, such as separation of variables, integration, and substitution. Depending on the complexity of the PDE, there may be multiple methods for solving it.

4. What are some applications of solving PDEs?

PDEs are used in various fields of science and engineering to model and understand complex systems. Some common applications include fluid dynamics, heat transfer, quantum mechanics, and electromagnetism. They are also used in finance, biology, and other areas of research.

5. Are there any software programs that can solve PDEs?

Yes, there are several software programs that can solve PDEs, such as MATLAB, Mathematica, and Maple. These programs use numerical methods to approximate solutions to PDEs and can handle complex equations and boundary conditions. However, it is still important to have a good understanding of the underlying mathematics in order to interpret and validate the results.