Register to reply

Density of modes graph from phonon dispersion graph

by PhysicsGirl90
Tags: density, dispersion, graph, modes, phonon
Share this thread:
PhysicsGirl90
Nov8-12, 01:26 AM
P: 18
While practicing for an upcoming exam, i ran into this question that has truly got me stumped. A phonon dispersion graph is given for NiAl (attached), and then they ask you to schematicaly plot the density of modes graph. I have the result of what is should look like, but i do not understand how to get from A to B.

Can someone point me in the right direction as to how i should go about doing this?
Attached Thumbnails
Graph.jpg   Result.jpg  
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Climate change increases risk of crop slowdown in next 20 years
Researcher part of team studying ways to better predict intensity of hurricanes
New molecule puts scientists a step closer to understanding hydrogen storage
haruspex
Nov9-12, 12:54 AM
Homework
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
Thanks ∞
P: 9,645
I know nothing of this subject, but from the 'density' term and just looking at the graphs here's my guess.
The density is high for the frequencies where the provided graphs 'spend' a lot of time. This is where the gradient is low. So you get very high peaks in density at 4 (lower middle graph) up to 5.75 (all three lower graphs) and 8-10.5 (upper graphs).

Register to reply