Tags: a space odyssey
Share this thread:
ImaLooser
Oct26-12, 04:35 AM
P: 570
Quote Quote by EBENEZR View Post
I really liked this scene!

!

But in the final cut it isn't ten minutes long.
EBENEZR
Oct26-12, 04:40 AM
P: 31
Quote Quote by ImaLooser View Post
But in the final cut it isn't ten minutes long.
Did the director's cut? Because I think I saw that one.

If that one was shorter too, that's probably why I liked it. Either 10 mins passed quickly or I am glad it didn't last that long haha.
BWV
Oct29-12, 02:46 PM
P: 328
Ligeti's music, for one
H2Bro
Nov6-12, 10:40 AM
P: 173
2001 is still one of my favorite sci fi novels. Why? Because it shows that at the pinnacle of human achievement we are tiny flecks of dust compared to the larger intelligences out there. Plus, at the end, the transition of a human into a semi omnipotent omniscient god is left me wondering.

I didn't get nearly as much from 2001 the movie. It was really more about breakthrough effects and maybe conveying the static, silent, slow pace of life in space.

2010 is a good book. 2061 is a bit worse. 3001 must have been published to make quick cash. The best parts are passages taken from the previous books, and the book skips over the parts readers would find most interesting. Maybe ACC lost some of his writing vigor by that time.

I watched the movie before reading the novel, and watched the directors cut after the novel. I liked the directors cut more, but maybe this was because it was just providing visual candy for the story I had already digested.
BWV
Nov7-12, 11:18 AM
P: 328
The screenplay for 2001 preceded the book, so the movie is the original work
LPV man
Nov10-12, 12:05 PM
P: 3
Quote Quote by BWV View Post
The screenplay for 2001 preceded the book, so the movie is the original work
Well the screenplay and novel were written at the same time. Where the differences come in is after the novels publication the screenplay continued it's development. I dont know if either the budget or techniques could have handled it, but I wish they'd filmed ACC version of the stargate transitions.

Lost Worlds of 2001 does cover some of the evolution behind the screenplay and if I recall correctly has a number of alternate endings for the film included
lpetrich
Jan9-13, 06:26 AM
P: 530
I also like that movie, and not just the psychedelic parts.

Some of it I find a bit difficult to interpret, I must say.

There are interesting differences between then and now.

Space travel is MUCH less advanced than what the movie pictured. Humanity has not left low Earth orbit since the early 1970's, and the three space stations sent up so far have looked more like collections of tin cans than that big wheel. Cramped ones that do not spin to make artificial gravity. Skylab, Mir, and the ISS.

However, automated spacecraft have been sent to every planet and several smaller objects.

Computers are very different. While the movie followed the Intimidating Big Machine model, what we have is lots of small computers in addition to the big ones.

But despite all the software we have created, artificial intelligence lags FAR behind the movie, something that's one of the great disappointments of my life.

A more serious issue is a major plot point of the movie. HAL's erroneous behavior was a major issue, while erroneous behavior has been all too common among the more common sorts of computers.

I remember Isaac Asimov saying about a certain part of that movie "They're breaking the First Law! They're breaking the First Law!" One of his Three Laws of Robotics, or more generally, AI programming. Someone calmed him down by saying "Isaac, why don't you strike them with lightning?"
EagleNebula
Mar30-13, 11:58 AM
P: 2
I saw the movie back when I was, I think, 12 years old. I was just in awe after I saw it. I thought the visuals were very impressive and I also found the story to be deep and existential. I can't say I understood a lot from it by watching it the first time but it definetly stuck with me. 10/10 IMHO.
Crikey
Apr25-13, 08:23 PM
P: 1
I've seen 2001 ASO about a dozen times over the years and I still don't understand the ending!
One of my favourite scenes is where the computer mutinies and locks them out in space, but one crewman outwits it to get back in via the airlock, then systematically sets about pulling its memory chips one by one to disable it, ha ha..:)
OCR
Apr26-13, 12:14 AM
P: 124
Quote Quote by Crikey View Post
then systematically sets about pulling its memory chips one by one to disable it, ha ha..:)
Odd I guess, but I never saw a bit of humor in...

HAL: Dave, stop. Stop, will you? Stop, Dave. Will you stop, Dave? Stop, Dave. I'm afraid. I'm afraid, Dave. Dave, my mind is going. I can feel it. I can feel it. My mind is going. There is no question about it. I can feel it. I can feel it. I can feel it. I'm a...fraid.

OCR
Borek
Apr26-13, 02:25 AM
Admin
P: 23,577
The greatest scene of the movie if you ask me.
brucemitchell
Jun10-13, 04:00 PM
P: 3
I read the book. I don't know why, but I liked it. I read 2001 and then skipped all the way over to 3001, so...
HallsofIvy
Aug16-13, 07:51 PM
Math
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
Thanks
PF Gold
P: 39,549
You are correct that it was based on the short story "The Sentinel" but that story was written by Arthur Clark, not Isaac Asimov. That's why they got Clark to write the screen play!
mpresic
Mar27-14, 11:33 PM
P: 112
I did not read the book. I did not like the last half-hour of the movie when everything stopped making sense.

One thing though for comparison. This movie came out in 1968. The idea that everyone would have a computer or cell-phone would have been literally incomprehensible. Our sensibilities were different. On TV, people were laughing at the grunting pig on Green Acres. Or laughing at the skipper slapping Gilligan with the hat after he said something stupid. Look at the old situation comedies to appreciate how desperate we were for any hoots we could get after a hard day's work.

Panavision was cool. I expect we were not used to the special effects that permeate all modern movies.
Tobias Funke
Mar28-14, 10:08 AM
P: 139
I've read 2001 and 2010 and I like them both. Haven't seen the movie because, well, I don't see any reason to after reading the books and it frankly looks boring. The OP probably isn't even around anymore, but the book has my recommendation (which carries quite a bit of weight around these parts!). It's a pretty quick read too, so even if you don't like it, no big deal.

It's amazing how widely varied tastes are when it comes to sci-fi. A lot of people think Childhood's End is one of Clarke's best, but I think towards the end

Spoiler
it just becomes another of the seemingly infinite stories from around that time---the time when the Rhine experiments were still taken seriously---that has humanity taking its place as the godlike, often psychic, race we're destined to become while all the other, sometimes much more advanced, alien races watch in admiration and fear...boring (and, when shrunk to our global scale, vaguely racist too, a claim that would get one laughed off this forum if Asimov himself didn't make the connection with his editor in mind).

Still a pretty good read, but Rendezvous with Rama is much better imo.
paisiello2
Mar28-14, 10:21 AM
P: 558
My favorite film of all time by my favorite director of all time.

Beside the sheer beauty of the photography I think it is also very profound. The whole film to me is an exploration of the evolution of human intelligence: from apes learning to use tools to modern man and their AI machines, to the next step which is speculated to come from contact with extra-terrestrial intelligence.
guysensei1
Mar29-14, 09:15 AM
P: 22
To tell you the truth, I couldn't stand the slow pace of the movie, the repetitive noises and the silent parts.

I'm too impatient for that kind of stuff :/ Oh well.
paisiello2
Mar29-14, 09:00 PM
P: 558
Too bad because a lot of great art a lot of the time requires patience to fully appreciate. Criticism is fine but what are you comparing it to? MIB 2?

Register to reply