Register to reply

Inverse Laplace Transformation of arctan (s/2)

by nileszoso
Tags: arctan, inverse, laplace, s or 2, transformation
Share this thread:
nileszoso
Nov9-12, 05:11 PM
P: 3
The Title pretty much says it all. I'm trying to learn how to solve the Inverse Laplace Transformation of Arctan(s/2). An equation of this sort was not explicitly covered in class and I'm having difficulty figuring where to start to solve it. If anyone could give me a general idea that would point me in the right direction that would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Suddenly, the sun is eerily quiet: Where did the sunspots go?
'Moral victories' might spare you from losing again
Mammoth and mastodon behavior was less roam, more stay at home
keyns
Nov9-12, 08:26 PM
The derivative of arctan(t)=1/(t^2+1). Differentiation in time-domain is the same as multiplication by s in Laplace-domain. See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Laplace_transform for a table. You should be able to derive the correct answer from this.
nileszoso
Nov10-12, 02:25 PM
Thank you! This helped, although I'm still not sure what exactly is meant by "Differentiation in time-domain is the same as multiplication by s in Laplace-domain. " But like I said this got my started on the way to solve the problem.

JJacquelin
Nov18-12, 03:59 AM
P: 756
Inverse Laplace Transformation of arctan (s/2)

Hi nileszoso!

A classical method to compute the inverse Laplace transform is the use of the Bromwich integral. In the case of arctan(s/2) this leads to ardous calculus with special functions.
Moreover, the inverse Laplace Transform of arctan(s) doesn't appears in some extended tables. So, it is questionable whether there is really a solution which can be expressed with not too complicated combinations of standard functions.
Where this problem is coming from ?

Register to reply