On a bijective Laplace transform

psie
TL;DR Summary
I've been going in circles with my reasoning about this, so I hope this doesn't come across as too circular. I'm reading Ordinary Differential Equations by Adkins and Davidson and in the chapter on Laplace transforms, there are two sections where they establish a one-to-one correspondence of the Laplace transform between two function spaces. Everything leads up to a theorem in which they prove the one-to-one correspondence, but I don't see the need for the proof.
Theorem. The Laplace transform ##\mathcal{L}:X\to Y## establishes a linear one-to-one correspondence between the linear space of exponential polynomials, ##X##, and the linear space of proper rational functions, ##Y##.

Exponential polynomials are linear combinations of terms like ##t^ne^{at}\cos{bt}## and ##t^ne^{at}\sin{bt}##, where ##n## is a nonnegative integer, ##a## is real and ##b>0##. Like the proper rational functions, these are presumably subspaces of ##\mathbb R^{\mathbb R}##.

The proof goes like this (I have omitted it since it refers to quite a few previously established results, but the point is the logic of the proof). The authors show that ##\mathcal{L}## maps each exponential polynomial to a proper rational function and that a function, denoted by ##\mathcal{L}^{-1}##, and defined earlier by $$\mathcal{L}^{-1}(F(s))=f(t)\iff \mathcal{L}(f(t))=F(s),\tag1$$ maps each proper rational function to an exponential polynomial. Moreover, they note that ##\mathcal{L}## is injective for continuous functions, which includes exponential polynomials. Then they conclude that ##\mathcal{L}## between these two spaces is bijective.

Here is what puzzles me. If a function has an inverse, as defined by ##(1)##, it's automatically a bijection. So it seems to me there is nothing to prove. ##(1)## applies to any function that has an inverse, with a suitable change of letters, inputs and outputs. Nowhere in the chapter so far have they explicitly defined ##\mathcal{L}^{-1}## and shown ##\mathcal{L}^{-1}\circ \mathcal{L}=\mathrm{id}_X## and ##\mathcal{L}\circ \mathcal{L}^{-1}=\mathrm{id}_Y##, where ##\mathrm{id}_A## denotes the identity map on some set ##A##. These observations simply puzzle me and I'd be grateful if someone could share their viewpoint on the matter.

Physics news on Phys.org
By introducing [itex] \mathcal{L}^{-1}[/itex] through [tex]
\mathcal{L}^{-1}(F(s))=f(t)\iff \mathcal{L}(f(t))=F(s)
[/tex] the authors are assuming, so far withour justification, that [itex]\mathcal{L}[/itex] is actually invertible. The theorem provides that justification, at least for particular types of functions.

Likes psie

What is a bijective Laplace transform?

A bijective Laplace transform is a type of Laplace transform that is both injective and surjective, meaning that each input has a unique output and each output has a corresponding input.

How is a bijective Laplace transform different from a regular Laplace transform?

A regular Laplace transform may not be bijective, meaning that multiple inputs can have the same output or vice versa. In a bijective Laplace transform, this one-to-one correspondence is maintained.

What are the applications of a bijective Laplace transform?

Bijective Laplace transforms are commonly used in signal processing, control systems, and differential equations where a unique mapping between inputs and outputs is required.

Is it always possible to have a bijective Laplace transform?

No, it is not always possible to have a bijective Laplace transform. Some functions may not have a unique inverse Laplace transform, leading to non-bijective mappings.

How can one determine if a Laplace transform is bijective?

To determine if a Laplace transform is bijective, one can check if the transform is both injective (no two different inputs map to the same output) and surjective (every output has a corresponding input).