Register to reply

How to reduce vampire power?

by oso0690
Tags: power, reduce, vampire
Share this thread:
oso0690
Nov10-12, 04:21 PM
P: 20
Hey guys, I've been building a circuit for a wireless cell phone charger. It's nearly completed but I don't know how to stop the circuit from drawing any power from its source when the phone is not 'connected'. It actually draws more power when it's not. How do I go about creating a circuit to fix this?

EDIT: Not vampire power. I need to know how to reduce no load power.
Phys.Org News Partner Engineering news on Phys.org
DIY glove-based tutor indicates muscle-memory potential
Tricorder XPRIZE: 10 teams advance in global competition to develop consumer-focused diagnostic device
Study shows local seismic isolation and damping methods provide optimal protection for essential computing equipment
yungman
Nov10-12, 05:35 PM
P: 3,898
A few pieces of garlic!!!!

Seriously, we don't know anything about your circuit!!!! you need to post your circuit so we can look at. Short of this, a few pieces of garlic might work just as well!!!!
Averagesupernova
Nov10-12, 06:01 PM
P: 2,529
You want the charger to sense when the phone is placed on it correct?

Mike_In_Plano
Nov10-12, 06:15 PM
P: 560
How to reduce vampire power?

It seems to me that a timer would suit your needs. Spend most of your time in "stand by" with your excitation off, but the timer running. Then, upon wake up of the timer, actuate your excitation source and look for signs of back EMF from your load. If your BEMF detector spies a phone, then disable the timer.
Even if you come up only once a second to check, the hesitation will be unnoticeable to anyone not familiar with it.
oso0690
Nov11-12, 09:47 AM
Quote Quote by Averagesupernova View Post
You want the charger to sense when the phone is placed on it correct?
Exactly.

Garlic solution is hilarious lol.

@Mike In Plano - I'll see how a timer works out. Even 1s checks would work much better than no checks at all!

Oh, here's a circuit schematic attached.

*BTW, does the simulator account for effective resistance in a coil?
Attached Thumbnails
Circuit Schematic.png  
skeptic2
Nov11-12, 10:51 AM
P: 1,815
What is your frequency of oscillation and how much is your charging current?
yungman
Nov11-12, 12:22 PM
P: 3,898
You are running open loop, with a set pulse width. You are pumping and pumping with a square wave with close to 50% duty cycle regardless of the load!!! The transformer or the transistor must be getting hot when nothing plug into it. You need a PWM with feedback so when you don't have a load, the pulse width becomes so low you don't draw power!!!

Look into Linear Technology site, they have small, cheap DC to DC converter IC that you can build a circuit from. They might not be 100% oscillation free, but for charging cell phone, don't worry about it.

BTW, You missed one very important thing, you need to reduce the current charging to protect the battery when it is full. I am not familiar with battery charging, someone here with experience can give you advice on this.
oso0690
Nov13-12, 07:41 AM
Quote Quote by yungman View Post
You are running open loop, with a set pulse width. You are pumping and pumping with a square wave with close to 50% duty cycle regardless of the load!!! The transformer or the transistor must be getting hot when nothing plug into it. You need a PWM with feedback so when you don't have a load, the pulse width becomes so low you don't draw power!!!

Look into Linear Technology site, they have small, cheap DC to DC converter IC that you can build a circuit from. They might not be 100% oscillation free, but for charging cell phone, don't worry about it.

BTW, You missed one very important thing, you need to reduce the current charging to protect the battery when it is full. I am not familiar with battery charging, someone here with experience can give you advice on this.
Thanks for the reply, I looked into reducing the current charging when the battery is full. My team had assumed that the battery would not accept anymore current when it is full. I found some answers that seem to make sense here:
http://physics.stackexchange.com/que...e-to-charge-it
oso0690
Nov13-12, 07:45 AM
Quote Quote by skeptic2 View Post
What is your frequency of oscillation and how much is your charging current?
Frequency is 170 kHz and I'm charging at 100 - 200 mA

Register to reply