Creating a Cell Phone Charger from Batteries: Understanding the Process

In summary, Dave is trying to make a cell phone charger from an Altoids tin and batteries. He is using an old phone, so he is worried about accidentally screwing it up. He is getting to each problem individually, so that he can find a solution for that specific problem and understand what's going on. He has two 9V batteries he wants to connect to a female USB end, then connect a USB charging cable from the phone to the batteries. He is using an old phone, so he is worried about accidentally screwing it up. He is getting to each problem individually, so that he can find a solution for that specific problem and understand what's going on. He has two 9V batteries he wants to connect to
Regenrok
Hi, I'm currently working on a project: I'm trying to make a cell phone charger from an Altoids tin and batteries. I know there are countless tutorials out there, but I want to understand why everything happens and how it works. I'm getting to each problem individually, so that I can find a solution for that specific problem and understand what's going on. I have two 9V batteries I want to connect to a female USB end, then connect a USB charging cable from the phone to the batteries. I'm using an old phone, so I don't mind accidentally screwing it up, I'm just worried about getting the power to the phone initially; and then I'm worried about getting the correct voltage and amps to the phone.

Thus far, a single 9V battery connected to the phone via the USB circuit does not cause the phone to respond. Why is this?

Also, would any other battery combination be more efficient, and for what reason?

Thanks in advance for any attempted assistance.

Engineering news on Phys.org
The phone does not respond to the 9v battery because the voltage is to small for the sensors to pickup

Jason49 said:
The phone does not respond to the 9v battery because the voltage is to small for the sensors to pickup

I don't think so, considering all the cellphone chargers that I am aware of supply 5V

9V is too high

Regenrok. try again with a battery pack that will supply 5V Plus or minus 0.5V

and did you use the correct wires in the USB cable ?
The outer 2 wires are the 5V supply wires, the inner 2 are the data wires

attachment.php?attachmentid=71694&stc=1&d=1406497683.png

Dave

Attachments

• USB_A_pinout.png
    USB_A_pinout.png
    8.8 KB · Views: 800
Last edited:
davenn said:
Try again with a battery pack that will supply 5V Plus or minus 0.5V

Indeed. USB ports always supply 5V.

If you apply 9V (or 18V) directly to the phone, you are hoping there is something in the phone to protect against the over-voltage.

(For completeness, the USB 3.1 specification does include higher voltages and currents, but it also uses a different connector. AFAIK the final version of the spec has not yet been published and so far no USB3.1 devices have been marketed.)

I find your project to make a cell phone charger from batteries very interesting. It is great that you want to understand the process and not just follow tutorials blindly. This shows a true scientific mindset.

To answer your first question, a single 9V battery connected to the phone via the USB circuit may not be enough to power the phone because the voltage and current provided by a single 9V battery may not meet the requirements of your phone. Most phones require a voltage of around 5V and a current of at least 1A to charge. A single 9V battery may not be able to provide enough current to charge the phone.

To overcome this issue, you can try connecting multiple 9V batteries in parallel to increase the current output. This will provide a higher current output without changing the voltage. However, you should make sure that the batteries are of the same brand, type, and charge level to ensure safe and efficient charging.

As for your second question, there are other battery combinations that may be more efficient for charging your phone. For example, you can use a series of AA or AAA batteries to provide the necessary voltage and current. These batteries have a lower voltage but can be connected in series to increase the voltage output. Additionally, rechargeable lithium-ion batteries are also a good option as they have higher energy densities and can provide the necessary voltage and current for charging your phone.

It is important to note that when working with batteries, safety should always be a top priority. Make sure to use batteries of the same type, brand, and charge level to prevent any potential hazards. Also, be mindful of the voltage and current requirements of your phone to ensure safe and efficient charging.

I hope this helps in your project and I wish you the best of luck in your endeavors. Keep exploring and learning, that's what science is all about.

1. How do I create a cell phone charger from batteries?

To create a cell phone charger from batteries, you will need a few materials such as a battery holder, a USB connector, and wires. First, connect the positive end of the battery holder to the positive end of the USB connector using a wire. Then, connect the negative end of the battery holder to the negative end of the USB connector using another wire. Finally, insert the batteries into the battery holder and plug in your cell phone to the USB connector to charge it.

2. How does a cell phone charger from batteries work?

A cell phone charger from batteries works by converting the direct current (DC) from the batteries into alternating current (AC) to charge your cell phone. The USB connector acts as a bridge between the batteries and your phone, allowing the electricity to flow from the batteries to your phone.

3. Can I use any type of batteries to create a cell phone charger?

No, not all batteries are suitable for creating a cell phone charger. It is recommended to use rechargeable batteries such as NiMH or Li-ion, as they have a longer lifespan and can be used multiple times. Additionally, make sure to use batteries with the same voltage as your phone's battery to avoid damaging your phone.

4. Is it safe to create a cell phone charger from batteries?

As long as you follow the correct steps and use the appropriate materials, it is safe to create a cell phone charger from batteries. However, it is important to note that this method may not be as efficient or reliable as using a certified charger, so use it at your own risk.

5. How can I improve the efficiency of my homemade cell phone charger from batteries?

To improve the efficiency of your homemade cell phone charger from batteries, you can use a voltage regulator circuit to stabilize the voltage output from the batteries. This will ensure that your phone receives a consistent and safe amount of electricity. Additionally, you can use higher capacity batteries and make sure they are fully charged before using them to charge your phone.