Radiation vector for a short dipole near a perfect magnetic conductor

by Bromio
Tags: dipole, radiation
Bromio
Nov13-12, 06:03 AM
P: 61
Hi there.

If I wanted to calculate the radiation vector (in z > 0) produced by a short dipole with uniform current Io (+z direction) on a infinite perfect electric conductor (plane z=0), I'd have to apply the images method. So I'd have to calculate the radiation vector produced by two short dipoles, one in z > 0 and one in z < 0, with currents Io.

However, if we change the perfect electric conductor by a perfect magnetic conductor, how can I apply the images method?

Thank you.
Phys.Org News Partner Engineering news on Phys.org
Lifting the brakes on fuel efficiency
PsiKick's batteryless sensors poised for coming 'Internet of things'
Researcher launches successful tech start-up to help the blind
berkeman
Nov13-12, 12:12 PM
Mentor
P: 39,647
Quote Quote by Bromio View Post
Hi there.

If I wanted to calculate the radiation vector (in z > 0) produced by a short dipole with uniform current Io (+z direction) on a infinite perfect electric conductor (plane z=0), I'd have to apply the images method. So I'd have to calculate the radiation vector produced by two short dipoles, one in z > 0 and one in z < 0, with currents Io.

However, if we change the perfect electric conductor by a perfect magnetic conductor, how can I apply the images method?

Thank you.
What's a perfect magnetic conductor?
Bromio
Nov13-12, 02:50 PM
It's an idealization.

PEC (Perfect Electric Conductor): [itex]\hat{n}\times\vec{E}=0 [/itex] and [itex]\hat{n}\times\vec{H}=\vec{J}_s[/itex].

PMC (Perfect Magnetic Conductor): [itex]\hat{n}\times\vec{E}=-\vec{M}_s [/itex] and [itex]\hat{n}\times\vec{H}=0[/itex].

Thank you.

Enthalpy
Nov14-12, 04:48 PM
P: 660

Radiation vector for a short dipole near a perfect magnetic conductor

At very low frequency, mumetal of permalloy are good magnetic conductors.

It would change the sign of the current in the image. Opposite current achieve zero magnetic field at the magnetic conductor, while same currents achieve zero electric field.
Bromio
Nov20-12, 05:06 AM
Hi.

I understand what you say, but, in that case, radiation vector is 0 (because currents are opposite), isn't it?

Thank you.

Register to reply