Determining the Poynting Vector for Loop Antennas

In summary: For a loop antenna, it is possible to resolve the poynting vector by assuming that each point on the loop radiates independently. This is the same as assuming that the loop has infinite length. In summary, it is possible to determine the direction of energy flow in a loop antenna by using the right-hand rule and tracing out the poynting vectors.
Mat1289
So I came across the following image (from Wikipedia)
131284d1470296397t-220px-felder_um_dipol.svg.png

where the electric and magnetic field lines are depicted for a dipole antenna. From the field lines, it is possible to determine the direction of the poynting vector, using the right-hand rule. If all possible combinations of poynting vectors are considered, an entire plane is described, perpendicular to the antenna axis.

I was wondering if there is an analogous consideration for loop antennas. I came up with the following sketch
131285d1470296671t-loopconfiguration.png

whereby the loop is situated in the XY plane. I drew in one possible electric and magnetic field line for a certain time instance. If the "A" is considered and the right-hand rule is applied, the poynting vector lies on the X-axis. If however point "B" is considered, the magnetic field and electric field are opposite to each other and the poynting vector can't be resolved.

1) Is my assumption of the field lines possible/correct?
2) How to determine the poynting vector in the case of the loop antenna?
3) How about near/far field effects; under which circumstances are such considerations valid? Is the dipole an exceptional example that "always" works?

Constructive and elaborated answers are appreciated.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Mat1289 said:
So I came across the following image (from Wikipedia)
131284d1470296397t-220px-felder_um_dipol.svg.png

where the electric and magnetic field lines are depicted for a dipole antenna. From the field lines, it is possible to determine the direction of the poynting vector, using the right-hand rule. If all possible combinations of poynting vectors are considered, an entire plane is described, perpendicular to the antenna axis.

I was wondering if there is an analogous consideration for loop antennas. I came up with the following sketch
131285d1470296671t-loopconfiguration.png

whereby the loop is situated in the XY plane. I drew in one possible electric and magnetic field line for a certain time instance. If the "A" is considered and the right-hand rule is applied, the poynting vector lies on the X-axis. If however point "B" is considered, the magnetic field and electric field are opposite to each other and the poynting vector can't be resolved.

1) Is my assumption of the field lines possible/correct?
2) How to determine the poynting vector in the case of the loop antenna?
3) How about near/far field effects; under which circumstances are such considerations valid? Is the dipole an exceptional example that "always" works?

Constructive and elaborated answers are appreciated.
(My views on this do not meet with universal agreement).
For both antennas, radiation is caused by the acceleration of charges. This is the case for any antenna, whatever the shape, including slots and loops.
Now think of a square loop.
For this loop antenna, each side of the loop is just a wire, and radiates the same as a dipole.
The two wires create a figure-of-eight radiation pattern when viewed at a long distance, due to phase cancellation. There is zero radiation broadside to the loop and maximum in the plane of the loop.
Do not be confused by the induction fields of the two types of antennas, which are just local energy stores and not germane to radiation.

The poynting vector shows the direction of energy flow. Since the antenna radiates, the poynting vectors will be diverging outwards like pins in a pin cushion. Since the poynting vectors branch and get thinner it is not possible to draw them as continuous line or plane.

1. What is a loop antenna?

A loop antenna is a type of radio antenna that consists of a loop or coil of wire, usually in a circular, square, or rectangular shape. It is designed to transmit or receive electromagnetic waves, such as radio waves, by creating a magnetic field perpendicular to the direction of the current flow in the wire loop.

2. Why is it important to determine the Poynting vector for loop antennas?

The Poynting vector is a mathematical concept used to describe the direction and magnitude of electromagnetic energy flow. For loop antennas, understanding the Poynting vector is important in determining the direction and strength of the antenna's radiation pattern, which is crucial for optimizing its performance.

3. How is the Poynting vector calculated for loop antennas?

The Poynting vector for loop antennas can be calculated using the formula S = E × H, where S is the Poynting vector, E is the electric field strength, and H is the magnetic field strength. These values can be determined through mathematical analysis or through experimental measurements using specialized equipment.

4. What factors can affect the Poynting vector for loop antennas?

There are several factors that can affect the Poynting vector for loop antennas, including the shape and size of the loop, the frequency of the electromagnetic wave, the material and construction of the antenna, and the presence of nearby objects or interference. These factors can alter the direction and strength of the Poynting vector and, therefore, the overall performance of the antenna.

5. How can the Poynting vector be used to improve the performance of loop antennas?

By understanding the Poynting vector for loop antennas, engineers and scientists can use it to optimize the design and placement of the antenna for maximum performance. They can also use it to troubleshoot and improve any issues with the antenna's radiation pattern, such as unwanted interference or directional limitations. Additionally, the Poynting vector can be used to compare and analyze different loop antenna designs to determine which is most effective for a specific application.