Register to reply

Self-Taught Skills on CV

Share this thread:
HepMan
Nov15-12, 06:44 AM
P: 14
Quote Quote by qspeechc View Post
I have no idea what open source is, so I'll have to look into it.

That's a good idea. I obviously don't know just yet what sort of project I can do, I suppose I'll only know once I know a bit about programming.

Sounds like I just have to show I can do something useful in a language, which may be enough.

Thanks for the advice everyone.

Lastly, are there any languages you can recommend I should learn? Or is that question too broad? When I was looking at job adverts the most common languages I saw were (in no particular order):

c, c#, c++, .net, microsoft.net, sql, oracle, java, sas, html, xml, ajax, python, acl, php, cache,...

and some others. Any suggestions? I really don't know where to start, just to learn some general programming skills.
Those are all really different languages, used for very different applications....depends what you want to do really.

e.g. html is used to make webpages which is really different to writing databases (mysql) or developing scientific software, games software etc (often C++).

I think you should think about what kind of IT job you want and then work out what kind of skills you need.

Register to reply