Big Bang Singularity: What is it?

In summary, the Big Bang model refers to the expansion of the universe from a young, hot, dense state. This model does not address the initial singularity and the cause of the expansion is still unknown. The initial expansion of the universe is considered a boundary condition on the dynamics. The main question remains why the universe was in a hot and dense state in the first place. There are theories, such as the idea of dark energy, but they are still not fully understood. The Big Bang process and the low entropy initial conditions of the universe are major unsolved problems in cosmology. Other ideas, such as Hawking's proposal of a quantum origin for the universe, suggest a zero-energy quantum fluctuation. Ultimately, the cause of the
Nstraw
I am a bit confused about big bang. Is the big bang referred to as the expansion of universe from singularity or not. Sorry if i have posted it in wrong section

Space news on Phys.org
The Big Bang model refers to the expansion of the universe from a young, hot, dense state. This model does not address the initial singularity -- it is understood to signal a breakdown of the physical theory. So when people refer to the Big Bang in mainstream cosmology, they aren't talking about the actual bang itself, but the model of an expanding universe emerging from a much denser initial state.

Ok so why did this expansion occured

There is no direct cause. It might be unsatisfying, but the universe seems to be expanding simply because it can. Given the exact same distribution of energy, the universe could just as easily be contracting.

The correct way to think of the initial expansion of the universe is as a boundary condition on the dynamics.

So if i am correct than the main question arises why universe was in the hot and dense state in the first place right?

Nstraw said:
So if i am correct than the main question arises why universe was in the hot and dense state in the first place right?
That, sir, is an excellent question.

So are there any theories yet which suggest why

Nstraw said:
So are there any theories yet which suggest why

There is one, but all it says is basically, if I remember correctly, something like "something called dark energy is causing this expansion and we know nothing about dark energy or why it causes the Universe to expand."

I'm sure it's a lot more precise, but the gist of it is that, if there is a cause, then it's something we don't know anything about.

(Please don't hold me to this, I could be quite wrong.)

I think the OP is asking more about the Big Bang itself, rather than theories of present-day expansion.

The Big Bang process, more specifically, the exceptional low entropy initial conditions of the universe, remain a major unsolved problem in modern cosmology -- nobody understands why the early universe had the conditions it had (see the Boltzmann brain problem.)

There are other ideas regarding the actual bang itself, or more correctly, what physical process was taking place at t=0. Hawking's proposal of a quantum origin for the universe -- that it was the result of a zero-energy quantum fluctuation -- is one popular example.

Last edited:
Thank you both so we will have to wait now

1. What exactly is the Big Bang Singularity?

The Big Bang Singularity is a theoretical moment in the history of the universe, often referred to as the "beginning" of the universe. It is the point at which all matter and energy in the universe was compressed into an infinitely small and dense singularity.

2. How did the Big Bang Singularity come to be?

The exact cause of the Big Bang Singularity is still unknown, but it is believed to have originated from a rapid expansion of space and time, known as inflation. This expansion caused the singularity to cool and expand, leading to the formation of the universe.

3. What evidence supports the existence of the Big Bang Singularity?

The main evidence for the Big Bang Singularity comes from observations of the cosmic microwave background radiation, which is believed to be leftover radiation from the initial explosion. Additionally, the expansion of the universe and the abundance of light elements also support the theory of the Big Bang Singularity.

4. Is the Big Bang Singularity the only theory for the origin of the universe?

No, there are other theories such as the Steady State theory and the Oscillating Universe theory. However, the Big Bang Singularity is the most widely accepted and supported theory among scientists.

5. What happened after the Big Bang Singularity?

After the initial explosion, the universe continued to expand and cool, allowing matter and energy to form into galaxies, stars, and planets. The expansion of the universe is still ongoing and is currently believed to be accelerating.