Isospin decomposition of K->ππ decay

by Einj
Tags: decay, decomposition, isospin, k>ππ
Einj
Nov19-12, 12:26 PM
P: 235
I'm studying the decay K->ππ and I have some doubts on the isospin decomposition. We know that the state [itex](\pi\pi)[/itex] can have total isospin 0 or 2. Now, if we remember that in the isospin representation we have [itex]|\pi^+\langle=|1,1\langle[/itex], [itex]|\pi^0\rangle=|1,0\rangle[/itex] and [itex]|\pi^-\rangle=|1,-1\rangle[/itex], then using Clebsch-Gordan coefficients we find:

\begin{eqnarray}
|\pi^+\pi^-\rangle=\frac{1}{\sqrt{6}}|2,0\rangle+\frac{1}{ \sqrt{2}}|1,0\rangle+\frac{1}{\sqrt{3}}|0,0\rangle \\
|\pi^0\pi^0\rangle=\sqrt{\frac{2}{3}}|2,0\rangle - \frac{1}{\sqrt{3}}|0,0\rangle \\
|\pi^+\pi^0\rangle=\frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}(|2,1\rangle + |1,1\rangle)
\end{eqnarray}

Now, my textbook says that we can decompose the decay amplitudes as follow:

\begin{eqnarray}
A_{K^0\rightarrow \pi^+\pi^-}=A_0e^{i\delta_0}+\frac{A_2}{\sqrt{2}}e^{i\delta_2} \\
A_{K^0\rightarrow \pi^0\pi^0}=A_0e^{i\delta_0}-\sqrt{2}e^{i\delta_2} \\
A_{K^+\rightarrow \pi^+\pi^0}=\frac{3}{2}A_2e^{i\delta_2}
\end{eqnarray}

where A0 and A2 are the aplitude referred to the final state with I=0,2.
The problem is: why the decay amplitudes don't present the same coefficient as in the Clebsch-Gordan decomposition?
Phys.Org News Partner Physics news on Phys.org
Physicists consider implications of recent revelations about the universe's first light
Vacuum ultraviolet lamp of the future created in Japan
Grasp of SQUIDs dynamics facilitates eavesdropping
Bill_K
Nov19-12, 01:47 PM
Sci Advisor
Thanks
P: 3,856
Instead of the second line, Wikipedia gives

|1,0> ⊗ |1,0> = √(2/3)|2,0> - √(1/3)|0,0>

Does that help?
Einj
Nov19-12, 02:08 PM
My fault. I wrote wrong in the post but I did the calculation with the correct formula. I will correct it right now. Still if you see the coefficients of the firt and second group of equation don't match.

Bill_K
Nov19-12, 03:27 PM
Sci Advisor
Thanks
P: 3,856

Isospin decomposition of K->ππ decay

Well, how about this, the Clebsch-Gordan coefficients give

|0> = √(1/3)(|1,-1> + |-1,1> - |0,0>)
|2> = √(1/6)(|1,-1> + |-1,1>) + √(2/3) |0,0>

Let K0 decay into the state Φ ≡ B0|0> + B2|2>

= √(1/3)(|1,-1> + |-1,1>)(B0 + √(1/2)B2) - √(1/3)|0,0>(B0 - √2B2)

Rescaling A0 = √(1/3)B0, A2 = - √(1/3)B2 we get

Φ = (|1,-1> + |-1,1>)(A0 + √(1/2)A2) + |0,0>(A0 - √2A2), which reproduces the first two of the textbook equations.
Einj
Nov20-12, 02:08 AM
Actually, if I haven't done wrong calculation, I think there are some signs that doesn't match. However I think the situation is a little more complicated as I read here: http://web.mit.edu/woodson/Public/Duarte_isospin.pdf
The article talk about some fictitious particles (spurion) that must be introduced because the decay is a weak one, while the isospin is a good quantum number for strong interaction. I'll see
Thank you very much

Register to reply